47re Issues

KING

Alright I need some help...

I just picked up a 2nd gen a few days ago. When I purchased it would only shift to first if I manually selected it.

Today the TC quit locking up. I have a Solus Pro scanner, scanned it and it said Speed Sensor. I looked at it realtime and the output speed always reads 0.

I replaced the sensor. My output still a reads 0 at speed. It never changes.

Can I do anything across that pigtail to watch on the scanner to verify the rest of the circuit works?

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Governor psi also alwsys reads 0.

There is a sensor on the OD housing drivers side, its beige colored. It will not throw a code if its bad, mine goes bad about every two years. Truck will not shift and will act crazy like bad TPS etc. Its worth the $20.00 at Autozone to try it. This sensor lets computers know if truck is moving, if its bad, it screws things up

That I believe is the output speed sensor. I replaced it last night but it did not help.

Im aware that it may be the govenor solenoid and transducer. Anyway I can test this with a Solus Pro?

I read the output speed sensor should ohm 580-700 ohms. Ill ohm it tonight and jack it up and ohm it with the wheels turning to verify the sensors operation.

So game plan tonight...

1. Ohm outout speed sensor, verify 580-700 ohm.
2. With vehicle suspended, turn wheels (in drive) and verify operation of speed sensor by change of resistance across sensor.
3. Plug resistors or rheostat into pigtail and verify change in output speed sensor reading in computer. If no changes, trace down harness for any cuts/issues.

4. Come back on here and *****.

Speed sensors don't create resistance values. The create AC waveform as each tone wheel tooth goes by. So you would need a o-scope to measure speeds sensors properly. As speed increase the frequency of the wave will increase (Hz).

tone-ring.jpg

Temp sensor operated reasonably on scan tool while I drove around also.

Thanks for the info that will rule that out. I dont have an o scope at my disposal.

Last night the gov sensor volt stayed at .66 at all speeds.

I got a document from ATSG with pinouts and some diagnostics that I will try to go through as well tonight.

Didnt get much done tonight. Ran around after work collecting parts for make a psi gauge so I can read pressure on the side of the case. The port on the side is 1/8" npt right?

Didnt get much done tonight. Ran around after work collecting parts for make a psi gauge so I can read pressure on the side of the case. The port on the side is 1/8" npt right?

Yes 1/8" NPT

If there is no speed sensor reading the trans should have a long 1-2 shift on first start up then it will shift after that and gov psi should be close to mph. if not you may have a bad gov pressure transducer . what year is the truck ? some people have switched out vb and put in wrong transducer. also the speed sensor plug does have connection problems, get a repair pigtail

Alright ****s getting wierd now...

So last night I couldnt get my scan tool to connect to the transmission at all. It said no connection. I had no issues connecting to the engine.

Today on my way to work the thing really started to **** the bed. I would manually start in 1st like usual, and then shift to 2nd and 3rd, but it would stay in first unless I went to nuetral and then 3rd it would shift.

I checked my voltage last night and it was around 12V with the truck running. Is this and issue?

Im leaning towards the PCM now more that my scan tool cant make connection.

Last edited:
run a ground strap from the engine to the tcm. If that doesn't do it get a pcm from another truck and try it. 98.5-00 is the same and 01-02 the same