47rh issues

zfstone

zfstone
I've got a 47rh in factory form. It will not shift into do, the trans temp light is always on, and if you drop it into reverse and wait about an honest 30 seconds you can feel it load the engine and it will work fine. I'm not an auto guy and don't even know where to look. Fluid looks good smells fine and is at correct level. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

do some reading... it can be a lot of things.

how many miles on the tranny?
are you checking the fluid with a warm tranny and with it on neurtal or drive? (making sure the converter is full and the lines have pressure)
have you checked the filter for blockage?

the delayed time it takes before moving the truck is the time it takes to fill the converter up most likely. this is called drain back and it is somewhat common. it wont hurt anything if you simply wait for the system to prime, but if you have no forward movement you have bigger problems.

trans guys correct me if im wrong, other than the basics, it could have junk in the VB, or the bands could be gone.

Truck is a 94 with 59,000 original miles. Checked the fluid with it in neutral and level. Warm or cold it doesn't vary much. I have fine forward movement other than it not going into overdrive and the trans temp light on.

If the PCM sees high trans temp (probably a bad sensor), it will not allow the overdrive shift. Easiest method is to unplug the trans sensor and install a 1k ohm 1/4 watt resistor from Radio Shack. Correct method would be to install a new trans temp sensor.

Of the trans doesn't go into lock up an easy way to test of it is the trans temp sensor is to get a 1000 ohm resistor and put it in the plug and tape it in their and run it down the road a hi fit shifts fine, well them you have a choice either heat shrink it and call it done or get a new sensor

Edit: Didn't read big blues post lol sorry will

I will try the resistor, Thanks for the info. It does go into lockup. Would that also be my reverse issue?

The reverse issue is drain back. Like said above not really a problem if you let it prime first. Just let it idle for a little while in neutral.

I tried the resistor the light went out but it did not change any of the other problems and my previous post stated it did go into lockup that is incorrect, must be a typo it does not go into lockup.

Back