48RE Guru's come inside please

DMcpherson

COAL SLAYER
Im lost on this one. Hoping someone has had a similar issue and can offer a little advice.
I just got done overhauling a 48re in an 04. Didnt move when I got it so it was never road tested. Tore it apart and the thrust washer behind the sungear to the rear planet was disintegrated. Whole unit was full of metal, forward clutches were smoked.
Got it all back together, used a transtec high energy kit, sonnax second servo, sonnax accumulator, and a trango SK48re kit.
Trans works awesome under light, and heavy throttle. But mid-heavy throttle not so much. Its not as bad until it warms up. Definitely gets worse once its hot.
I noticed it first in 4th gear LU. try to accelerate and it would slip. Bad. No shudder, but slip.
Then tried third gear. Same thing.
Then tried manual second, and the same thing. Not as bad, but my window in second is much smaller.
I shut off the LU solenoid on the scanner and ran it and it seems to go fine, so I believe that its Lockup. I originally had a Billet single in it, and after talking to transgo they told me it had to be converter so I put a triple in it, and it did nothing. At all.
Then they told me the OD sprag had to be backwards. Checked. No.
Also line pressure in 4th LU is 180PSI. OD pressure in 4th LU is 180PSI, so I dont think its a pressure problem.
Now, the kicker is, if you take off from a slow roll and let it shift into third, then lockup, then fourth in lockup it wont slip. Once up to speed you can let out, cruise in lockup, try to accelerate and it just slips.
I have the valve body out right now. Im going to check for leakage at the switch valve and maybe order the updated sonnax switch valve.
Oh, and another note the customer said he was having an issue before the trans finally died and described the exact same thing, so I dont believe that it has anything to do with what I did. But who knows.
TIA for any thoughts on it.

I did flush it and blow out the lines. Check ball removed also. But I will double check.
I will add also, that even when it slips, if you slow down enough to let it upshift into third/LU it will not slip.

Good line rise too. If you ease in the throttle hot in 4th lockup it will climb 140-150psi as it starts to slip and you can continue to get in the throttle it will come right up to 180psi as it slips.

I just pressurized the cooler through the trans case and she definitely does not want to flow so I think this may be my culprit. Now to figure out where its plugged and put it back together.

I was told if you get metal or clutch material thru the cooler, you will never get it clean by flushing and need to replace the cooler.

Ive flushed TONS of coolers. Key is usually to have a good, heated cooler. Which I do not have here...:nail:

Are you saying when the lines are unhooked from the trans and you blow through them they are ok? But when you blow through the case, with the vb out I assume, it doesn't flow?

Well I ran it again last night after getting the cooler flowing and it was thesa me. I put a gauge on the front servo again and this time found my answer. Only 75 psi cruising and drops under 50 when actuating the TV valve.
So I pulled it apart. Found a couple burnt direct clutches. Found some thinner ones and redid the pack with 6 clutches.
I also found the inner lip seal on the front clutch bad. It was sitting inside of the groove. Turns out I have one of the drums that was machined too deep.
So I got the new wider lip seal, and reassembled.
Now. Its been a while. When I air test the direct drum I get air out of the input shaft. Good apply but air from the input, and the converter feed hole of the case. If I block the holes the clutches hold pressure. Normal?

DONE. Stupid lip seal groove was the culprit. It would drop pressure in lockup and slip. Made it feel like a lock up problem. Very odd. But fixed none the less

DONE. Stupid lip seal groove was the culprit. It would drop pressure in lockup and slip. Made it feel like a lock up problem. Very odd. But fixed none the less

I usually use the thicker seal on every one, I haven't had a problem with one yet. Glad u found the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk