48re slipping

Genz06

knuckle buster
Well after replacing the torque converter, its seems to be still slipping alot more than it was before. Ive been running a smarty on some low levels(honestly,sw2 and 4 at the most) The truck has about 160k for miles. I cant drop alot of cash right now, but i need to get it fixed. Anybody have any ideas?

160K is a fair amount on a truck that has some mods. What did the fluid in the pan look like?

Well it wasnt real discolored,little bit of smell and had some gray material stuck to the bottom of pan. We thought it was the torque converter so we replaced that, and after draining every bit of fluid and re-filling it, it slips even worse. from a dead stop it slips a bit then i let off and then give it some pedal and it catches. Was going to install a shift kit to help with the fluid coupling, but now I'm lost!

Well it wasnt real discolored,little bit of smell and had some gray material stuck to the bottom of pan. We thought it was the torque converter so we replaced that, and after draining every bit of fluid and re-filling it, it slips even worse. from a dead stop it slips a bit then i let off and then give it some pedal and it catches. Was going to install a shift kit to help with the fluid coupling, but now I'm lost!

That extra grit(clutch) material in the fluid probably helped the worn clutches. Shift kit won't help fluid coupling, but it will give you add pressure to hold the clutches. I think there is some john deere hyguard, not for sure, that you might be able to put in it instead of trans fluid. Do some searching on here. It might get you by, might not.

just plan for a rebuild.....if you plan for more mods, go with at least a billet input

sounds like it is time to freshen those clutches up. take the programming off is you want to salvage whatever you can for as long as you can.

I certainly can attest to this! Leval 5 on the Smarty put's a hurting on my trans with 50k at full throttle... Start saving the pennies the rebiuld for you is sooner than later....

Id hate to say this, but that transmission is definately on the way out. If it was caught early enough you could have done a band adjustment and probably got away with it for a while. Once those bands get a bad enough glaze on them they will never get any better. I have had a few of these cases come through my shop.

Best of luck

hmmm... Forward clutches maybe? Mine were half gone and didnt slip that much.

With the 48re's, soon as they start slipping there is really no hope for them. You could get it rebuilt with stock parts or save some extra cash and buy a built unit that will be night and day different and be able to hold a lot more power.