48re to 47re

RCDIESEL08

farmer,diesel mechanic
I have an early 04 with a fully built BD tranny... and I have a 01 that I am p-pumping but the tranny is out which is the 47re... what I was wondering is how hard would it be to put the 48 in my 01 and 47 in the 04... because I'm taking my parts off my 04 and making it stock again... any thoughts on if it would work and if so how?

Biggest issue will be getting the PRNDL indicator to work on the 47RE case. You can either swap cases(which will basically mean you will need to check some clearances probably) or you can drill and tap the hole in the 47RE to take the PRNDL, and then use a bushing in the 48RE case

Most of the parts wil interchange, but replacing one with the other is out of my knowledge.

I was told it would work but the neutral safety switch was indeed the issue... so I may just swap components and keep the cases with its truck, then change out rooster comb and electrical and keep it with trucks as well... thanks for you input fellas

Check all of your clearances as they can be case specific. IE you may have to get some different spacers.