48RE to Allison Swap

CentFlPerfDsl

Well im thinking of swapping a Allison into my 05 CRD. My questions are more about the controller I have found the 5 speed controller but is there a 6 speed controller available and will this trans adapt to the transfer case that is in our trucks or is there a adapter.

Also who has done this swap and how did it turn out. The allison seems to be a pretty much bullet proof unit thats more than I can say about the 48re. Like i said this is something that im thinking about b/c once the tranny is done time to play.:Cheer:

You should do some research on this topic. Save your money from the controller and adapter plate and cost to build the allison and you could have one bad to the bone 48re. I would just stick with the 48 personally. Do some research. The Allsion will only take so much in stock form just like your current trans. The 48 can be just as good and arguably better than a alli when built right. Please do not turn this into an allison vs 48re thread as i am not bashing either.

In high performance applications, there are way more Chevy/GMC guys retro-fitting a 48re behind their D-Max than Dodge guys retro-fitting an Allison behind their Cummins.

If you're going for a more mild HP range, say 650 or less and/or just want a 6 speed transmission, then the Allison swap would be reasonable, although much more expensive than getting your current 48re built up.

And yes, if you want to spend the money, there are shops out there that will install an Allison for you complete with adapter plates and a transmission controller. Don't expect to do the swap for less than $8,000.

Big Blue thats about the number I was coming up with if i was to pay someone to do it but i do everything my self, but this is just something that has been floating around in my head for a while and several people have asked me about it. I really didnt know if it was worth it or not. thanks
JD

If you decide to go with the allison and want to sell your 48re, let me know i have cash. Jimmy

I have a allison in my 12v an is almost complet,If your going to do it make sure to get all your parts from de-stroked, they even have the adapter that puts your transfercase on the allison

Back