48re VB to 47re

razocow

So I put a 48re VB into my 47re, changed the rooster comb, and changed the pressure solenoid because the truck was not shifting.
When I put it in drive it starts in 3rd and stays in 3rd. There are no codes at all, checked with a scanner.
I can shift it manually into 1-2-3 but then nothing else, no OD no lock up.

So where can I start to fix this problem?
Any help is appreciated, thanks

It is a 2000, what would the jumper accomplish? And isn't that just for the lookup switch?

If your going to limp for some reason, you would be starting out in 3rd. Jumping the relay would help. I suspect your seeing higher line pressure and that is putting you in limp.

Yeah I figure I cqn trust him, just looking for as many options as possible so as to limit my down time

So out of curiosity I pulled the relay and went for a quick drive, truck acted almost identical to driving with the relay in, I am going to try the jumper in the morning, hope it helps.

It could also be a bad transducer or Govenor pressure solenoid causing the 3rd gear starts, I had a bad transducer that was bad right out of the box last week, don't rule it out.

Lavon

Ok, where is the transducer located? And how much is one? And I replaced the governer solinoid yesterday.

Ok, where is the transducer located? And how much is one? And I replaced the governer solinoid yesterday.

It is in the VB also. Black plastic.

Jumper the relay first and see what it does.

If your able to manually shift with 1,2,3 it tells you that mechanically your trans is good to go(clutches etc are good)

Many times the PCM will generate the proper PWM signal, even though the trans is in limp.. Jumping the relay is quick and easy to try.

ok, jumper did not change anything, still has all the same symptoms, and the truck drove good before the VB swap.

Any other ideas?

TV cable hooked up? I suppose you could disconnect the VB connector and see if that would generate any codes. What did you read the codes with? If you have a service manual you could ring out the harness, and make sure you have 5-6 ohms on the gov solenoid. Do you have 12Volts at the relay?

Last edited:
12 volts check, star scan at dealership.

Are nthe 8 pin connectors the same between the 47re and the 48re?

Back