4BT in a Dakota? What would it take?

gstanfield

Are we there yet?
OK, I'm having this very naughty thought of selling my 12v truck and going with something smaller. I don't want to go gasser though. So, anyone have an idea what it would take to drop a 4BT into a Dakota? I'd go with the previos generation dakota, possibly drop it an inch or two is possible, put it on some 20's and crank the little 4BT up to about 350-400HP. I think it would make a fun little truck that should get 30mpg with the right gearing.

Ideas???

Thanks,
George

gstanfield said:
OK, I'm having this very naughty thought of selling my 12v truck and going with something smaller. I don't want to go gasser though. So, anyone have an idea what it would take to drop a 4BT into a Dakota? I'd go with the previos generation dakota, possibly drop it an inch or two is possible, put it on some 20's and crank the little 4BT up to about 350-400HP. I think it would make a fun little truck that should get 30mpg with the right gearing.

Ideas???

Thanks,
George

I put one in a 68 Bronco....alot less room than a Dakota. Shouldn't be too hard. Get a late model intercooled, Ppump version out of a off-road forklift or roller. They have the most potential and highest HP rating.

I am still working on mine, you will probably beat me to completion. So far I have a truck and motor. I keep parking them close together, but so far nothing has happened. I am hoping for close to 30mpg, because it is supposed to be replacing the wifes TDI beetle we are selling. I haven't had time to measure, but I am thinking I can use the 2nd gen 6bt mounts in the dakota's factory frame mounts. The biggest thing I worry about is the 2wd's under engine crossmember. It may have to be cut out and replaced with a tubular style to clear the pan and sump. It may even have to drop down lower to set the engine lower to clear the hood. That's all I know at the time, but I share more info as I get it.-Nicholas

Sweet, sounds like a do-able project. Now I just have to decide if I really want to sell my 12V or not. Hmmm, maybe I can convince my wife to let me have both :)

Oh well, we'll see how things go in the next few weeks with another project I'm working on. If I finish it she'll probably be OK with me having both.

George

Cummins Express said:
what kind of mileage you get out of the bronco sootman

It wasn't mine but he is getting 34 mpg. 3.23 gears with 35's. C-4 tranny. It made 274rwhp and 485lb ft torque. Plenty of power with minor tune up. Very streetable.

Garmon dropped a 6BT into a Dakota several years ago and the biggest hassles he had were mounting the radiator, and front springs. To keep AC the radiator was mounted in the bed, custom front springs were made to hold the weight, other than that it fit pretty darned good from what I remember. A 4BT should be a fairly easy swap insofar as room goes.

cool was thanking of the same thing running a dakota with a 4bt as a daily driver but was not sure of the mileage if it would make it worth while

sootman said:
Looks good except for that pump. :doh:

He is VERY consistent with that 4Bt with that pump- it works damned good for him....:rockwoot:

RacinDuallie said:
He is VERY consistent with that 4Bt with that pump- it works damned good for him....:rockwoot:

Maybe....but a P-pump would be like a shot of juice compared to the rotary.

where is a good source to purchase a 4bt? a couple of years ago on another site i came across a link someone had posted to a site that had a ton of old frito lay trucks with 6.5 chevys and 4bt's but ive seached and can't find it now. Any ideas?

Find 4BT's on ebay, valtruck.com , arsco.com , dovebid, and maybe a couple in the classefieds at 4btswaps.com

ok nice little engine!

my bro talked me out of it cuz they (4bt's) sound so darn funny!

I always though a 4bt in like a 94-98 half ton dodge would make a cool truck