Votes: 7 18.4%
  • use the 4l80e

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • use the 47re

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

hereismylife

Unknow at this time
I am wondering some input for the guys with high hp/tq 6bt with the 4l80e. I am just wondering if your trans is holding up.

I went with the 47re and have no problems yet. I did a lot of research when I did my build. I just would still like to know was it all worth it to me so to speak going with the 47re over the 4l80e trans

All input is welcome..

I get mixed reports from really well known transmission builders. One's that are opposed to say the OD unit/sprag won't handle the torque. While others say the billet pieces and upgrades for the sprag are enough to get them to live. I know they can be made to handle some huge hp gas cars and trucks, but I haven't seen one in a high hp/tq, heavy diesel truck application.

Be interesting to see if one can be made to work.

IMO, you went with the correct transmission compared to the 4L80e.

FWIW, I also had looked into the 4L80e or 4L85e behind the duramax in my 83 and the above is a really brief review of what I got. In these heavy trucks with lots of torque, I don't feel like being the test rat to see if it's gonna work. Some are holding up in cars behind stout diesels though. Many of the duramax vans have considerable transmission trouble and they are backed by the 4L85e instead of the allison.

C-ya

We are currently doing 2 Suburban swaps and are using 47rhs in both trucks .
The chrysler transmissions get a bad rap that is not deserved because of so many failures but these are stock transmissions. Once modified they will hold more power than the 4l80e. Ford has a good transmission for high hp applications also . Rich

Had a buddy that actually tried to put a 4L80 in his 99' 3500 to replace the Nv4500. Broke lots and lots of parts and finally gave up.

Had a buddy that actually tried to put a 4L80 in his 99' 3500 to replace the Nv4500. Broke lots and lots of parts and finally gave up.

Broke lots of billet parts or was he just using stock parts?

He had all billet parts in it including a forward drum that he had custom made.
Snapped 3 inputs I think, broke the intermediate shaft once. Fried the forward clutches twice and had massize headaches with TC's. All that behind a 600-650hp VP motor.

He had all billet parts in it including a forward drum that he had custom made.
Snapped 3 inputs I think, broke the intermediate shaft once. Fried the forward clutches twice and had massize headaches with TC's. All that behind a 600-650hp VP motor.

How was he as a driver. towing, racing, street racing,pulling. I never heard any horror stories like that. Sorry to hear about that though.

How was he as a driver. towing, racing, street racing,pulling. I never heard any horror stories like that. Sorry to hear about that though.

Well he was decently rough on it. Had it down the 1/4 half a dozen times maybe. Never towed with it or hooked it to a sled. Now that I think about it, it never even made it to the dyno with that tranny in it.
Bottom line is, a 47 or 48 RE holds up MUCH better to the abuse than the 4L80E based on my experiance.

Well he was decently rough on it. Had it down the 1/4 half a dozen times maybe. Never towed with it or hooked it to a sled. Now that I think about it, it never even made it to the dyno with that tranny in it.
Bottom line is, a 47 or 48 RE holds up MUCH better to the abuse than the 4L80E based on my experiance.

Thanks for the input again. Sorry about the bad news

I'm curious how much he weighed and what kind of 1/4mi times he put down with both transmissions. I wonder what kind of weight/ET is past the 4l80e's capabilities.

I'm curious how much he weighed and what kind of 1/4mi times he put down with both transmissions. I wonder what kind of weight/ET is past the 4l80e's capabilities.
It was a full weight 3500CC dually,so probably 7500-7700lbs. Best ET he ever had was a 13.2 or close to it. Any time he would try to build boost on the line if it went over 10psi it would either smoke the clutches or snap a shaft. So lots of soft launches. Line pressure was a real issue with it. With enough pressure to hold the clutches it would shift/lock up so hard it would break shafts.

That makes sense. weight/torque was probably an issue there. There's numerous 4l60e and 4l80e Cummins transplants around here, even in a lifted 1ton dually, but they're no where near that quick. I wonder how much longer it would live with a 4000lb chassis instead of 75-7700.

Man the 4l80e stood up to modded 6.5's it should handle a lot! :)

Ive been able to make a TH400 hold 1.3 sec. 60's and run low 6's in the 1/8th mile, but ya its in a 4k# truck. Id prob. do a dodge tranny if i were in your shoes. The only reason i went with the high dollar adaptor plate, flex plate etc... was to run GM's Power Glide. I had a Super Glide built with all the bells and wistles but couldnt ever make a convertor work due to being limited to only a 11" convertor. I gave the TH350's thier fair shake and they flat wont work at all. Then this lead me to the TH400, which will work it seems as long as all the best parts are inside. A 13" convertor is a must for the torqe of the cummins, nothing else will live... i think i tried them all! "IF" had just known the 11" convertor wouldnt work, i would have built a dodge tranny in the very beginning. Hope this can help with your disission.
Ryan

Ive been able to make a TH400 hold 1.3 sec. 60's and run low 6's in the 1/8th mile, but ya its in a 4k# truck. Id prob. do a dodge tranny if i were in your shoes. The only reason i went with the high dollar adaptor plate, flex plate etc... was to run GM's Power Glide. I had a Super Glide built with all the bells and wistles but couldnt ever make a convertor work due to being limited to only a 11" convertor. I gave the TH350's thier fair shake and they flat wont work at all. Then this lead me to the TH400, which will work it seems as long as all the best parts are inside. A 13" convertor is a must for the torqe of the cummins, nothing else will live... i think i tried them all! "IF" had just known the 11" convertor wouldnt work, i would have built a dodge tranny in the very beginning. Hope this can help with your disission.
Ryan

Thanks for the good input. I like having true facts. so basically I would have to have the best to hold up in the long run.

Yes it will flat break the hard parts that are not replaced, one at a time. Although, im not having any troubles with clutches holding once everything is adressed inside. In other words every time im in it for something else, ive always noticed the frictions are still like brand new, i see no ware even after prob. a couple houndred passes. Lots of line pressure and all the best Hard Parts are whats needed. I dont know the 4L80E inside very well but i think it's very simular to the 400 minus the OD. Good Luck to you.....if you need more info on these trannys or convertors give Art Carr a call in Abilene Tx. i could get you a number if you wish.
Ryan