4th Gen Ram...the most serious SQ system I've ever tried

Thats a nice HU. I like the internal HDDs. I used to have an AVIC with one and it was worth having. I dont think the newer ones store the Nav on them anymore do they?

Steering wheel remotes are nice. But how many of us really drive with two hands on the wheel 100% of the time like were supposed to? I know I dont. So if you have to reach for the wheel to push a button, then there isnt much difference in having a remote sitting in your lap.

Everything is on the wheel...radio, phone, etc.
There's absolutely no reason to give up full integration for an aftermarket unit with higher end OEM these days.
How many aftermarket head units even have wifi?

An added benefit is when someone looks in they won't see an aftermarket radio to steal. Chance are if there's a stock radio there's not over 10 grand in audio equipment there either.

I understand what youre saying and I hear that quite a lot when guys want to keep OEM thinking thieves wont be interested. Unfortunately, I know a lot of guys who bought replacement gear because their OEM Navs and such still got stolen. At the end of the day, to a thief, if its free to them, then they lost nothing and a decent thief knows a OEM unit is still worth money and usually easy to steal because there has been no form of protection to keep it in place from the manufacture. I use security hardware on everything i install. A few bucks spent can be well worth it. Maybe it something you want to look into if you havent already.

IMO, WiFi on a HU is useless unless its on a GSM network (monthly fee) or you pull into a parking lot to check for free hotspots. But Im assuming you can tether your mobile? If so, I hope its an Android and not iOS :)

Ruined? Not at all. Thought and ideas need to be shared to make sure everything is covered. One single person cannot think over everything at one time.

Im not here to ruin anything and if anyone thinks so them I apologize.

I will say that I will keep my oem head unit next go around. What an irritation when my steering wheel controls only work 1 day a week. My high dollar alpine navi touchscreen is severely lacking in the navi feature. Best one they make they say. Buy this they say. No way id take out a factory dodge head unit. Also the pandora interface likes to mess up and lose signal when plugged into the iphone. Have to unplug and plug back in.

That is one thing I regret about putting a new headunit in my truck, losing the steering wheel controls.

Can't wait to hear it Rico

my 94 has the little knob that makes the sound go to whatever side you want.

I thought that was fancy...

Pile o crap shot...

539264_4707862894201_1004478153_n.jpg

Going nutty again, I see!!! Thats some spendy equipment for sure!!! And, yes tuning will be critical... One of the bummers about the new high end head units is the DSP and signal correction/manipulation built into them to make the crappy factory speakers and amps sound better than they are. When you try to use this signal with high quality aftermarket equipment you can have losses and holes in the audio spectrum that in some cases make better equipment sound worse than the factory junk it replaces... I am not familiar with the Mosconi DSP, but I assume if you are using it that it has the means of correcting for these losses and problems.

I have used the JL Audio CleanSweep (I think that is what it is called) and it does a pretty good job of correcting and removing the equalization/time alignment the factory puts into the head units. I'm guessing that the Mosconi is like the JL piece on audiophile quality steroids!!!

Keeping the factory unit in the dash looks cleaner than most aftermarket installs anyhow... Heck way back when I competed in IASCA competition with my 67 Camaro I still had the factory AM radio in the dash!!! I used a Sony 10-disc changer in the trunk with the controller installed in the driver sun visor...

Those were fun days and good sound quality was the primary goal!!! I think the Ipod has killed the thrill of awesome sound quality. Many (myself included at times) fall into the trap of thinking about quantity and variety over quality... I have seen some that have an outrageous number of songs on their ipod or whatever else but most of them are of poor quality!!! Last road trip I took in my truck (with crappy stock speakers falling out of the doors, and an Eclipse head unit) I was playing an MP3 CD and switched to an original CD and was blown away and reminded how good a CD can sound versus MP3 even with crappy speakers. My VW TDI has the 6-disc in dash unit and I like the convenience and looks but the SQ is not the greatest... Someday I'll get around to upgraded it too...

I have a JL 12W6v3 on the way right now...should be here Friday. I snagged one of the early release subs....they'll hit stores in March.

This ain't my first rodeo.
My last head unit was a clarion DRZ9255...I know my way around.
A lossless source is as good if not better than any CD transport out there.
All I need is a summed signal into the DSP...it'll do the rest.
There are no high end aftermarket head units that offer all the convenience features this OEM unit has...period. What it lacks the 6to8 makes up for.

What does your system consist of?

What are lossless sources, as in some examples?

Pile o crap shot...

539264_4707862894201_1004478153_n.jpg

What are the yellow speakers on the left?

Looks like a sweet set of toys, Rich. You make most of us look like amatures. LOL I just pulled my S12 Kickers from the old boxes last night that I bought when they first came out in 1993. Gonna make a new box for the Mega Cab. :rockwoot: :hehe: And don't forget the epicenter from 1994!

You make my ill......but I'm happy for ya. :D

Last edited:
Definitely good points on the cleansweep and making sure that any audio manipulation from the factory head unit is flattened out before the true tuning begins. Worst case if that 6to8 doesn't have built in correction and calibration components then you could do it old school as I am sure it has more than enough bands of EQ. Get a Pink wave sound track, a mic and some good RTA software and start tweaking things till the plot on the screen gets flattened out. Then start tweaking it to sound good.

can't wait to see more pics of the install. Who are you having install and tune it Rich? I know some really big names out in Cali who could do some amazing work, but not really sure of who is in Texas, but I am sure they exist.

An added benefit is when someone looks in they won't see an aftermarket radio to steal. Chance are if there's a stock radio there's not over 10 grand in audio equipment there either.

Those tweeter pods might be a give away, good excuse for some tint on the windshield.

What are lossless sources, as in some examples?

FLAC is the most common I know of, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC"]FLAC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

OGG, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg"]Ogg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

or old school microsft .wav file works too, basically NOT MP3 files, or if it has to be MP3, get them in higher bit rates like 320kb/s

It goes in for install on the 8th. Should take about 2 weeks to complete.
I forgot how costly good installs can be....damn....