4wd vs 2wd

Power Stroke

I Love My Power Stroke!
anyone with a 4wd pickup ever mess around with running a pair of slicks at the track and just using 2wd? im looking to shave some tenths this year and i was figuring that by getting rid of the parastetic drag of running 4wd down the track i could possibly knock 2-3 tenths off with a good slick, trutrac posi and a pair of caltracs. only thing holding me back from doing it is whether its going to hook as well. my best 60ft to date is a 1.71 in 4wd which is ok, but i think i should be in the mid to low 1.6s. i plan on running a 33x12x16 hoosier drag slick. any insight?

In my understanding you may gain MPH but not sure about time. I have thought about this also. Interesting post.

that is some killer 60ft times i race my truck in 2wd all the time i like to get out to my lakes in the summer an you need 4wd to get out there

Well you probably would need all of the 2wd race configuration to get optimal benefit. Such as traction bars, etc. Then you have to overcome the extra weight, 4wd height, etc. by enough to lower times. On mine I don't think even with a decent launch I could beat my 4wd boosted launch times.

The few times I tried 2wd with the BFG 315s I had no way to hook with a hard enough launch to match my 4wd times. But I do think that the mph was up slightly.

Of course with fords gearing and right tires/setup might be possible.

If your launching in the 1.7's you are not probably going to gain anything.... lower your tire pressure, go for a little more boost at launch, should get you into the 1.6's. I think at that point that it would be more benificial to start playing with torque converters

Kevin

If you have to carry the weight of 4x4 you should use it. I dont think your going to like the results of your 2wd plan.

I don't know how you build enough boost in 2x4 to have the same viscious launch you can in 4x4 except for maybe a trans break!

most of the weight is on the rear even in a 4wd launch. you could run the same dia. slicks in the rear as the front tires and keep your xfer case happy. if the flexplate will handle it . i've seen the 4 slick trucks. looks scaaary. tc