4x4 problems...Any Ideas?

BGarofalo

I had a truck come in with a four wheel drive issue. It does not engage in 4 wheel. The transfer case engages, but the front axle does not. So I changed out the CAD with a new one. Now when i put it in 4wd the light will come on(so the actuator is working) and the 4wd works intermittantly.

The truck will bang out of 4wd. I checked to make sure the bushing between the two shafts is good and it is.

I did notice that the intermediate shaft will slide about 1/8" inward toward the pumpkin. Im thinking this is the problem. I pulled the intermediate shaft and there is no retaining clip or anything. I did not open up the carrier to snoop around.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

I'm assuming you've checked for any vacuum leaks correct? If not that's one of the easier things to check. I'd imagine a weak vacuum signal could cause that but not totally sure.

As NickTF said, i had the vacuum lines on the front of my truck break on me one night and cause it to do the same thing.

I put a gauge on the vacuum lines at the CAD. Its pulling a good vacuum. Is there anything in the carrier that holds the intermediate shaft in place?

I think my intermediate will move a little. Is there any adjustment on the indicator switch? Making it too soon? I have one of my vacuum lines off(the one that disengages the 4x4) and I know I have to drive around a little and make a few turns to get it to disengage. So I would think that it wouldn't just slide in and out.

posilock it and forget it

do away with the vac bs, or check the top of teh tcase for connections that could be faulty

rick