5.9 ECM in a 6.7

Polaraco

I know someone has done this. . . Been thinking about it for two years now.

What is involved in putting a 5.9 ECM in a 6.7?

What are the problems?

What is the results.

Need some help deciding what I want to do.

My real goal is to push out the MPG

Bean put an 5.9 ECM into a 6.7. It was setup for someones Ford pulling truck. If I recall its an 03 ECM with 03 Injectors. I assume the spray pattern is more ideal for the 6.7 Pistons.. but I'm just guessing.

call BrownsDiesel in my sig. he was the first to due it. motor made over 1000hp with 03 electronics but the rods didnt like that horsepower. he can guide you over the process. this was done when the cab and chassis came out before the reg trucks did. he knows what do to .

Thanks Guys

I heard about Browns. They are soooo far away though. . .

I don't want a 1000 HP either! But I am sure they did some magic on top of the ECM swap.

I was just looking at ideas on eliminating the 6.7 nightmares under the floor boards

If your going to do that why not just wait for the smarty to come out and then you can have a fully functioning 6.7L(cheaper too). The electronic(Piezo Injectors) are leaps and bounds better than First Gen CR Injectors. There far more expensive but then you dont need to buy "new" 03 injectors and try to find an 03 ECM.

Thanks Guys

I heard about Browns. They are soooo far away though. . .

I don't want a 1000 HP either! But I am sure they did some magic on top of the ECM swap.

I was just looking at ideas on eliminating the 6.7 nightmares under the floor boards

like they said just buy a new 6.7 get a smarty than start hacking away at the warranty. Seen some on utube that seem to run fine with all the emmions cut off

Did they really go back to them or did they rework the bowls and it just so happens to "work" with the 03 style injectors. Not that I know or anything. We need to see a picture of non-melted 6.7 pistons.

Did they really go back to them or did they rework the bowls and it just so happens to "work" with the 03 style injectors. Not that I know or anything. We need to see a picture of non-melted 6.7 pistons.

dont have any pictures sorry.

The 6.7 inj. will take more pressure, but they are not piezo. I think the 03's have a 7 hole tip, and my understanding is the piston bowl design on the 6.7 is the same as the 03. So the spray angle and inj. timing of the 03 work the best on a 6.7. I think using an 03 computer with only 2 inj. events would be bound to help mpg's as well.

So in other words, it sorta simple

I understand going back to the 2 events will work. . .but are the pulses long enough in a stock program to satisfy the engine?

I thought 03's had 4 injection events also. Didn't they start with the EGR event in 03? or was that 04.5?

03 do have 8 holes and they have 2 injection events 04.5 the added another event for emissions

Whoops I guess Ford uses the Piezo.. My bad. The Cummins has a 3rd Gen HPCR system. My bad

03 do have 8 holes and they have 2 injection events 04.5 the added another event for emissions

There is a noise event too. I understand there are 4 total.

2 short for engine noise
1 main
1 emissions

Smarty and XRT are turning off the 4th and the EGT's go down

what do you do about controlling the transmission? Does the 5.9 ECM control the 68RFE properly??

I don't know about that. I haven't blown one up yet.

You must be talking about a modified 48 then. . .

I like the 68 for towing, which is more what I do. But I have to agree on the 68 holding the power. My recent Mods made my trans chatter. I tuned down because I like the trans where it is.