5.9 injectors in a 6.7 answered

zukgod1

Old fart
Not sure if anyone cares or if it's common knowledge but....

03-04 spray pattern 5.9 injectors do in fact work in the 6.7 head.

It's been a long expensive journey and this is where I landed...

I swapped in a 6.7 a few months ago and was having a rough start from the word go.
It would fire and after 10-15 seconds it ran great but that initial start was a smoky *****.

After a few thousand dollars and some advice from Starlight Diesel in Utah and a fellow Comp D member in St George I decided to try it.

They work and well. Off to get EFI Live now.

spelling errors should be ignored from this device. =-O

You modified the injector and hold downs?

5.9 injectors WILL NOT work properly in a 6.7 head unmodified. They won't deal correctly and can pour fuel straight into the cylinder causing a runaway.

That was supposed to say seal. I guess a lot of times they won't deal either tho. LOL

5.9 injectors WILL NOT work properly in a 6.7 head unmodified. They won't deal correctly and can pour fuel straight into the cylinder causing a runaway.

Other way around, 6.7 hold downs have to be modded to fit a 5.9 head. The 5.9 injectors work fine in the 6.7 head. I opted to use a tad longer hold down bolts, otherwise no issues.

I love it when someone posts a reply saying "IT WON'T WORK" when it does.

I have just over 1000 miles on them now.

WORKS FINE.

:p

No mods to anything, 03-04 5.9 injector in my 08 6.7.

I got this info from Blacks Racing via Starlight Diesel. I called Blacks and they have been using them in their race truck.

I did have a rough, white smoke start issue with my 6.7 exergy injectors as well, just not as severe as yours. Tuned it out finally, gotta love EFI Live.

I love it when someone posts a reply saying "IT WON'T WORK" when it does.

I have just over 1000 miles on them now.

WORKS FINE.

:p

No mods to anything, 03-04 5.9 injector in my 08 6.7.

I got this info from Blacks Racing via Starlight Diesel. I called Blacks and they have been using them in their race truck.

Other way around, 6.7 hold downs have to be modded to fit a 5.9 head. The 5.9 injectors work fine in the 6.7 head. I opted to use a tad longer hold down bolts, otherwise no issues.

My mistake. If you look at the injectors side by side it's easy to see they're different.

You seemed so confident on the 6.7 injectors working fine with a 5.9 ECM. Some people told you it wouldn't work right. How wrong were they?

My mistake. If you look at the injectors side by side it's easy to see they're different.

You seemed so confident on the 6.7 injectors working fine with a 5.9 ECM. Some people told you it wouldn't work right. How wrong were they?

And they worked just add I stated.

Not once did I jump on all CAPS train and tell them they were wrong. I merely stated they work.

They actually ran better then the 5.9 injectors I have now but the starting sucked. 10 seconds after start all was good.

So, to sum it up. 5.9 injectors work in the 6.7 head AND a 5.9 ecm WILL fire and run 6.7 injectors.
If you can put up with the rough starting run it.

Last edited:

This is incorrect. 5.9 injectors work fine in a 6.7 head. We do it all the time. But to put 6.7 injectors in a 5.9 head, you have to machine the 6.7 injector body.

Lol been done along time ago. Reb and Erick had 03 injectors n their 6.7 back in 08. Makes a nice setup.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I was wondering. Will 5.9 injectors work in a 6.7 head?

I was wondering. Will 5.9 injectors work in a 6.7 head?

NO!!! bif

I honestly didn't know so I had to make a pile of calls before I actually talked with someone that had actually done it..

Comp is the best no doubt, I would still have a rough start if not for all the help and advice from my fellow members..

so what is the rough start from with the 6.7 injectors. is it the voltage difference or to much fuel. can the coils from the 5.9 be put on the 6.7 injectors to make them work like a 5.9?

so what is the rough start from with the 6.7 injectors. is it the voltage difference or to much fuel. can the coils from the 5.9 be put on the 6.7 injectors to make them work like a 5.9?

The info I found was that the 5.9 fires at 50v and the 6.7 fires at 100v.

SO, the 5.9 ECM can fire the 6.7 injectors but at startup when your system voltage is completely relying on the batteries and before the alt kicks in its rough running. mine was about 10 seconds before it smoothed out. Once that was done it ran great, clean smooth etc.

Never looked into swapping coils, once I found the 5.9 fit the 6.7 head I looked no further.

Back