5.9 stock oil pump limitations?

Todd W

Comp Diesel Sponsor
When is it necessary to start thinking about an oil pump upgrade? This is on a 12 valve. Also how are people doing it? can a guy do a wet sump design and use a stock oil pan and if so how do you hook it up?

I think he might be talking about using a belt driven pump with stock oil pan?

The 24v oil pump is a higher capacity pump an would be a upgrade from the 12v oil pump and will bolt right in place.

I started a thread about this a while back. The specs on the pumps are the same in quickserve. You can run a external pump, belt driven off the dampner and utilize the stock pan with a weld in wet sump. Peterson fluid Systems sells everything you need except the drive hub for the dampner. I know where to get those as well but I'm not sure they want to be mentioned on here. Text me if you still have my number. I'll get you hooked up Todd. I've got many hours in what your trying to do. :hehe:

Correct me if I'm wrong but in race cars the main purpose of a dry sump oiling system is to prevent going dry from slosh in high g forces. In a pulling truck or drag truck I'm sure a wet sump external oil pump would be just fine, given you have the need for more flow

I read about a guy who put an 8.3 oil pump in his 5.9, he said that it takes a little bit of machine work, but it works great. You might want to do a little research.

Thought belt driven pumps where usually used in "dry sump" configurations

Usually yes. Sometimes it's just to get a better pump... Or 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but in race cars the main purpose of a dry sump oiling system is to prevent going dry from slosh in high g forces. In a pulling truck or drag truck I'm sure a wet sump external oil pump would be just fine, given you have the need for more flow

That is partially correct. There are a few reasons for dry sumps. It does help with slosh since its in a tank and cannot a cause the sump to become exposed. A few others are, you can run more oil in turn cooler oil, it minimizes aeration, it assists in relieving crank case gasses and the idea is to get a vaccuum on the rings so they seal better but in a boosted engine that can be very difficult. In any case it's better then just a vent port. As I explained earlier it is nice to be able to run multiple oil pumps too. You can stack mechanical lift pumps as well.

Back