53 block

14hustrp

Cumminskid15
Did they put 53 blocks in 02 Cummins. Just worried cuz I looked on the side of my block and it has the 5 and .... nothing else. It looks like someone grinded the number off the block. How else does a person check?

It's really really rare if they did. Sometimes it's on the passenger side at the bottom in front of the first oil drain port, assuming you saw the grindings on the drivers side.

Last edited:
Nope nothing on passengers side. The reasoning I was asking was I got a ppump and was going to start the swap. But first I thought I better check the block number. Now what to I do?

Nope nothing on passengers side. The reasoning I was asking was I got a ppump and was going to start the swap. But first I thought I better check the block number. Now what to I do?

Don't worry about it, if it ever cracks then you can weld up the crack and surrounding area. Others block numbers started with 5 also.

My '98 12v has a 5 block. No grinding marks on it. I heard about other 5 blocks prior to buying my truck.

My '98 24v is a 53 block. Its been p-pumped for the last 4 years, last year and a half with a 13mm. Block is fine.

You will probably be able to tell when you pull off the gearcase. It should state what casting it is. My 12v is an encore block. Didn't realize it until i noticed the main bolts were 12mm. The sides of the block didn't have anything on it numberring. Under the gearcase it said it was a USA casting though. There are a lot of 53 blocks that hold up good like ^^ said. Its all a risky chance IMO no matter what the block casting some less risky though

cracking the block seems to be more common than people realize.. my 96 block cracked at 600hp.. but ran around fine for 2 years at 500+ and 32* of timing..

My 2000 24V that I'm gonna see how long it lasts. From what I had heard if you have a bypass it helps prevent them from cracking. But I guess I will find out.

DSC00288.jpg

According to the class action lawsuit that was just settled with Dodge/Cummins on the 53 block trucks they are from years 98-01 ONLY.

I have the class action lawsuit settlement card laying right here looking at it and it gives you everything you need to know abotu what is covered and how much you will be refunded.

I have the class action lawsuit settlement card laying right here looking at it and it gives you everything you need to know abotu what is covered and how much you will be refunded.

More info on this

you had to act by dec 5. And there ARE 53 castings outside of the given lawsuit years. However there weren't enough claims on them to be included in the lawsuit. I also have the card and 2 53 blocks (one cracked/one taking it like a champ)