53 Block

5.9cummins06

I have a '99 12V that came out of a school bus, just found out that its actually a 53 block, I never even put 12V and 53 together.....there is no crack yet, only 80,000 miles. The plan was to build a sled puller out of it, kinda scared to now, how are those blocks if they are filled? Should I get away from it?

Don't waste the time or money. If you fill them, they just blow bigger junks out at once, instead of just cracking.

You can definatley get away with using it. If you have the money get a non 53 though.

Ya, really dont want to spend alot of money on a 53 just for it to crack. Might be up for sale.....Fark! Not very often you have a 12V with that low of mileage...

It's a toss up. Your going to spend alot of money anyway you go.

My 53 block 12 valve has 370k on it and sees 75-85psi of boost. Put a coolant bypass on it and go. No matter what you build doesnt matter what block they all can fail.

would a girdle hel prevent these 53 blocks from cracking? do they crack because of a stress put on the skirt of the block, or because of thin casting?

Thin casting, it separates the top of the block from the bottom. You can patch it all you want but it keeps spider webbing.

There is a reason a class action lawsuit has been filed.

Don't waste the time or money. If you fill them, they just blow bigger junks out at once, instead of just cracking.

I disagree with you Gene, I had almost 3 years on mine and it was holding strong. I was out to prove that a 53 block would hold up!

Good for you!! You got lucky. and proved your 53 held up for a while. Ours held up for 7 years on a daily driver driven by an adult, before it started to go.

Lock and stitch, fine product, not worth the trouble on the 53, been there done that....more than once. The money and time spent on L&S would have paid for a good used block and and a gasket kit.
L$S did come up with a reinforcement that went into the soft plugs to try and keep the block from separating, how much more proof do you need?

I think eventually the L$S would hold, youd have a 24x3 section of your block all sticth and no block and about $3000.

It keeps spider webbing.

Its a POS, roll the dice if you are lucky at cards..

A friend has the old hated 53, his is starting to show trace amounts of moisture at the crack

I disagree with you Gene, I had almost 3 years on mine and it was holding strong. I was out to prove that a 53 block would hold up!

I believe you that it can last, in stock conditions, but a 1200 HP sled puller running at 4800 RPM, i dunno.....