5k gov spring issue?

fearthedeere6.7

Installed a set of 5ks in my 215 pump. According to cds instructions you end up with 6 clicks followed the instruction and the truck seems to be trying to run away. Should I add or take away clicks?

Initial plus 2. Is a good starting point.. fyi. Make sure you check the overall spring height. I have found a few that weren't the same. I ground them to match.

You probably still have shims under the springs at least thats what caused mine to run away hope this helps

Spring height out of the pump. Springs sitting on the bench upright. Not the stud height.

instructions said to pull everything out but the shims and install the new idle spring and other spring, tighten slowly til you fill the frist click then add 5 more. Ill pull the springs out tomorrow and check them again pretty sure they where the same height tho.

there is supposed to be like .020" of shims under the springs and thats it. I had this issue and my problem was the shims like said ^^

ok so maybe not yesterday heading home it decided to die at a stop sign. First i though the idle screw had backed out so i readjusted everthing now its like its hunting for idle. set it at 700ish and with in 30 secs it had hunted up to 1300. could the springs have loosened up?

you could be too loose, or your clicks are off. I know I had to readjust mine after putting them in my 215 from my old 180. I also noticed on my 180 that initial plus 2 didnt fuel nearly as hard as initial plus 4 on my 215.

Have you tried to readjust at all? I had a set of 4ks do this once about 1300 miles from home. Problem fixed itself, I think the springs were binding.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

havent messed with it yet been riding to work with the wife. Goin pull the afc today and see whats up might try 1+4 I had a set of 4ks jump around for a bit but never hunt for idle like this.

I have mine at initial plus three and my idle is real low after a week and I have to pedal it a little to keep it from dying on me. I'm going to add two more and see how that works out. Turns out mine were ground a little bit so they might not be even to start with.

ok so maybe not yesterday heading home it decided to die at a stop sign. First i though the idle screw had backed out so i readjusted everthing now its like its hunting for idle. set it at 700ish and with in 30 secs it had hunted up to 1300. could the springs have loosened up?

Loosen off the springs, readjust the idle.

no either way one click added caused it to run away one click subtracted caused it to hunt for idle and die when i reved it up. and it came back down. Gonna pull them out and take another shim out and reset them. If that dont work im putting 4ks back in

no either way one click added caused it to run away one click subtracted caused it to hunt for idle and die when i reved it up. and it came back down. Gonna pull them out and take another shim out and reset them. If that dont work im putting 4ks back in

I remove every shim, and that always fixs all my problems. Maybe as a last resort for you?

Back