5th Wheel Campers

LAGUNA GRANDE

My family wants to get into camping. We just bought a 08 Dodge to pull one with. This is my first truck and I have never pulled anything. But I'm looking for camper suggestions and how they pull?

He has pulled plenty but normaly keeps it in his pants.
LOL

images

just put it in D and hammer down! no need for a brake controller, they are a waste of money, your truck brakes are more than enough.

Short bed or long bed? That makes a huge difference when turning.

I live in a 37 ft 5th wheel full time

Get you a fifth wheel. They pull better and have a wider variety of floor plans as well. If its your first time pulling you might want to practice on a smaller trailer first to get used to having strapped to your ass. Good luck and be carefull. Don't get the biggest trailer you can find either. Get somthing that your comfortable with and not scared of. And if your needing advice on a brand of trailer. Look at Open Range. They are some real nice trailers. I ordered mine in Jan and will be picking it up this week. Good luck

how big of a trailer are you looking at? to me that would be a decideing point between a fifth wheel and a bumper pull. fifth wheels do pull nicer and back in easier but allot can be said for being able to use your pickup bed and not having to buy a big hitch that mounts in the bed.

The OP stated he's looking at a 5r. The 2500 and 3500 trucks handle a 5r quite well. Maybe a set of airbags to level the truck but that should be it!

I'd reccomend a toy hauler if he gets a 5th wheel, good for family, as well as toys, plus most of them are fully self contained (generator and all)

Thanks for all the advice. It is a quad cab 3500. It already has a fifth wheel hitch in it and it is air ride. I bought the truck from my neighbor. I rode with him a few times when he was pulling cattle and equipment. I know it is a bit of a truck for my first one, but I'm excited to learn and learn right. I don't know how big of camper to go. But we were considering a toy hauler. We don't have any toys now, but with kids and bikes I think it would be nice. My neighbor did say I can borrow his trailers when his around to practice. So that is nice. I know I will be nervous pulling at first. Anyway, thanks for all the honest replies.

Your best bet is to go look at some trailers.

As long as you don't go out and buy a Teton, and it's less than 40' long, your truck can pull
it.

Just make wide right turns...

Your best bet is to go look at some trailers.

As long as you don't go out and buy a Teton, and it's less than 40' long, your truck can pull
it.

Just make wide right turns...

I looked up Teton, they look fancy. Is there a downfall? We have been looking for a used one locally that we can go look at.

Back