5th Wheel Campers

Teton trailers are wicked expensive, and they are longer than 40' (in which you would need something more than a 1-ton).

Just make sure it is big enough for your family and all their crap.

I was going to pull my neighbors trailer around tomorrow but we got a ton of snow. I've been seeing some nice ones on craigslist but haven't looked at any yet.

I saw another question about egts? Will i be ok towing? What causes them to get high?

just put it in D and hammer down! no need for a brake controller, they are a waste of money, your truck brakes are more than enough.

Interesting, if the trailer has a brake system, GET A CONTROLLER. They DO make a difference. Huge difference, especially when dialed in(not hard). If you have a huge grade to go down do you want it all on one set of brakes? If you can use more, do it. Why do tractor trailers have brakes on their trailer? The crane my dad runs has 5 different brakes to not overload one system.

OP, the EGT's really shouldnt be a big factor if its a stock engine. 1500 for 15 seconds is a good rule of thumb. And if the engine lugs, find a gear it likes and stick to it, even if its moving 30 or 40mph. No need to kill the engine trying to keep up with 60mph going up a grade.

Have fun! We have a 22' bumper pull and its all just a learning curve, given ours is half the length, but the rule still applies, slow down early, take turns wide, and keep it safe!

I have a 5th wheel Camper it pulls nice, They take on quite a bit of wind though cut your milage down a little bit. I have a 1992 Excel got it for like 2 K about a 7,000 pound trailer. If you get one 5th wheel is the way to go, Just watch your height if you never pulled before don't be like that one guy with the Cummins and a 5th wheel took down that bank drive threw lol.

Honestly find an RV dealer and go check one out. 5vers are where it is at as far as quality but there is still cheap junk also. bumper pulls (or called tags) are usually alot cheaper and come up in quality some. Look for a decent compay and a floor plan that you like and let that be a decider. Jaycos are awesome quality and the interiors are getting alot nicer. I have seen alot of 10 year old Carriages in the $15k range lately. Just avoid anything made by Thor or Fleetwood and any of their subsidiaries. I hope I don't offend anyone but they are crap! A 35' Quality 5ver is going to wiegh over 10k lbs empty. Also if you see a dry wieght (empty) realize that this is before any options are added and can be 2k lbs under actual. My Carriage is around 15k lbs. Been full timing her for 5.5 years now.

I found me a camper. It's pretty big to get used to. I only pulled it home so far. I have to learn to take corners bigger. Also it seems to be close to ground with the front jackstands. And it seems close to the truck if I would take sharp hills, it looks like it will hit. Does this look normal? The truck pulls it really nice too. I'm getting used to the stick shift. It really takes off in the top gear too, it really pulls the rpm when I giver the yuckabuskies! Thanks for the helpful advise from all.

002.jpg

What he said ^^^^^

You will be buying a bed soon if you dont raise the hitch 2-3 inches. More if you plan to go back in the sticks.

The kingpin box on the front should be adjustable also. Definately need to get it away from the bedsides a bit

Back