6.0 starter voodoo going on with my 12v

Jpscustoms

So over the past 2 years i have been having issues with my starter not wanting to crank over.(6.0 starter on destroked zf6 adaptor plate) Has new battery cables, 4th brand new started, new battery, good grounds, and no blown fuses. What makes it voodoo is it will go for weeks to months without issue then outa nowhere it will act like the solenoid is bad. Iv tried jumping the solenoid directly and nothing, Walk away and hit the key and fires right up shut it off and sometimes it will start other times has the issue again. What makes i even more crazy is closer to winter it gets it gets worse! Any ideas Starter hung up today and is toast so this will be starter number 5 in 2yrs!!!

make sure no oil is leaking on it and CLEAN the terminals VERY well, then spray terminal protector (sticky red or purple stuff).

Joe

on edit: seen your truck at sheids, very nice looking rig.

I swear to god those 6.0's are just cursed. Even after they are gone some of that curse remains to screw the new engine.

Run a ground strap from the starter housing to the frame. I am pretty sure the aluminum oxidizing on the adapter plate corrupts the ground. I actually felt warmth where my starter bolts to the plate and it spins over much faster now.

Run a ground strap from the starter housing to the frame. I am pretty sure the aluminum oxidizing on the adapter plate corrupts the ground. I actually felt warmth where my starter bolts to the plate and it spins over much faster now.

Exactly what he said. Just about all the pud freightliners we have had this problem long ago and we had to add additional ground straps to all of the starters or the side of the bell housings to the frame. A year later they came out with a new starter with a ground stud built into them to attatch our strap to. LOL

its grounded to frame, its all brand new connections, starter is not even 6months old...i swear these 6.0s are cursed too!! its the only 6.0 engine part left on the truck!

The engine just needs to go back to its original home.....

picture.php

Is that a 3rd gen front end on that 2nd gen??? Looks pretty sweet!

yes and thank you!

Dont ya wish you would have kept the truck? I havent gotten it on the road yet! been too damn busy to work on it although Ive got roughly 15K in parts sitting here for it now.

I know this will sound crazy, but the remanufacturer/builder can be a big factor as well. Chris

Nothing sounds crazy at this point!! Chris i wish i could have it and my Fummins, sure does look damn good now! who does your body work? Fummins needs repainting!

My 7.3 had the same problems it wound up being the battery cable ends. they looked good but i cut one in half and it was deteriorating from the inside out. It was really crazy.

Nothing sounds crazy at this point!! Chris i wish i could have it and my Fummins, sure does look damn good now! who does your body work? Fummins needs repainting!

I do all my own right here.

My 7.3 had the same problems it wound up being the battery cable ends. they looked good but i cut one in half and it was deteriorating from the inside out. It was really crazy.

This is what Id be looking into.

all cables and ends were replaced in april, along with battery, starter, and added grounds....wana paint my truck?