6.4 Build Questions

Ldtucker15

I've been doing a lot of reading between here and Cummins Forum and I'm having a problem figuring out what the best option really is.

I've currently got a 6.7 with 230,000 miles on it and I'm going to rebuild the engine when I get back from deployment next year. I've always been interested in the 6.4 because of the improved rod angle and faster rev of it all.

Here is what I've gathered;
- Throwing sleeves in the truck will allow me to survive at or around 1k hp on a manual daily driver.
- Carrillo's .080 longer rods allow me to run my sleeved 6.7 block with a 5.9 crank with OEM 6.7 pistons
- With the Carrillo rods there is no need to deck the head or remove material from the pistons to keep proper compression ratios
- Theoretically speaking, between the improved rod angle and the sleeves, the truck should be able to survive near 1k hp for a longer amount of time

Any and all help is appreciated

Thank you,
Lincoln Tucker

I would skip the sleeves at that level. I would buy Wagler street fighter rods, bore if necessary and keep it a 6.7. I like the 6.4 concept, I just don't want to spend more on rods for less discplacement.

I would skip the sleeves at that level. I would buy Wagler street fighter rods, bore if necessary and keep it a 6.7. I like the 6.4 concept, I just don't want to spend more on rods for less discplacement.

I'm safe to eventually throw twins on this truck and operate around 1k on stock cylinder walls?

I agree with 56cummins. And from what I've read you would as long as you aren't making peak torque down low, then you may break the crank like Chris and Reb at Browns Diesel. I think the worry about cracking the block is from high hp sled pulling and drag racing.

On a G56 truck, taking the bottom end power out of it kind of take the fun away. Thats why I like the 6.4, faster revving and with the sleeves I can make more bottom end

I'm not saying taking the bottom end out of it, but running a 1k hp setup that spools up very fast with no smoke. On one truck they had a 62 over 95 for a smokeless towing setup so it made huge torque early. If you are running a say a 63 over 80 or large I would say it's not so much a worry.

There's a guy on CF with a 67.7 over 82 or 3 on a manual truck that makes around 1k and he uses it for towing off-road and what not.

What I would consider making huge torque early, would be making more power than your setup now and spooling sooner. If you put an 80 or larger under your 67.7 it would spool slightly slower than now, but make you power easier. You would still have very good bottom end power, it will just smoke a lot of you get into it. He has 12k miles on his setup with no issues on a 6.7

On a G56 truck, taking the bottom end power out of it kind of take the fun away. Thats why I like the 6.4, faster revving and with the sleeves I can make more bottom end

The difference in stroke/rod angle between the 5.9L and 6.7L crankshaft won't amount to a hill of beans in the real world.

^Yup. I got billet rods in mine, run a 72 single with 150s and dual pumps(10mm and sportsman) and beat on it hard. No issues yet. Fly cut mahles and some other stuff but still.

No one is going to stop you. More work and money for less torque and spool up. Put the 1k$ saved on long rods into head porting.

If you're gonna be sled pulling at 1k+hp would be the only reason in my mind to go 6.4

The biggest gimmick in Diesel engine sales is the short stroke “6.4”. Spend money to get less. Now if you were sleeving down to 4.125 bore like the popular pulling bore size that’s one thing, but no suitable street pistons in that bore size. For your small power goal leave it 6.7 and call it whatever size makes you fee good.

If staying 6.7 bore, no deckplate; I personally feel they are weaker with sleeves. Now if sleeving down to 5.9 yes it’s stronger but for your goal, send it.

Back