6.7 dodge or 6.4 ford?

Besides my dodge I am driving a duramax right now as my daily driver... its not a bad truck, but it is definately not my favorite truck by any stretch,, as for the alison,, I hate it,, I dont abuse this truck at all, and yet I am on my second tranny, and this one is giving me problems,, shifts funny etc. I am looking at upgrading to either the new dodge (2010 if they ever get them to the dealers) or the new ford, I really like the looks of the new Harley edition.

I am a little worried about fuel mileage, that is one thing that I do have to give my chevy credit for,, I have been averaging allmost 24 MPG on the highway for the last few months (seemed to take a big jump when I hit 60000 miles)

I am really having troubles picking which truck to go with, as mentioned earlier they are both very nice, and both have very good features.

I know that many people have gotten that kind mpg out of the 6.4 with a tuner and exhaust. As for the 6.7, im not sure. A good friend of mine has a 07.5 dually with the 6.7 and he gets horrible mpg, but it is a 4 door flat bed and he is always pullin a trailer.

If a person goes with the 6.4, what are the must do's? Tuner (i am assuming from what I have read that the spartan is the king, or is it the SCT?) And exhaust? Get rid of DPF I am assuming also

Spartan tuner it now comes preloaded with 8 tunes. dpf delete and intake and she's ready to roll.

Yeah spartan tuner exhaust and an intake take care of it, the best mileage comes from the higher hp tunes, part of the problem is no one really tunes for mileage because its a dpf delete which is supposed to be off road use only, so they really cant market it for better mileage, legally...

I do like the layout of the dash/gauges, but I wish that they would for once put numbers on the gauges. I'm shocked to see a "4" and a "x10" on the boost guage. That was one of my complaints on all the Ford trucks that I have owned, which this Dodge is my first non-Ford truck that I have ever owned.

x2

wtf is it with ford and having worthless instrument clusters??? On the 2011 super duty's they [will] have that fancy gee-whiz-bang driver info center but STILL DONT have actual numbers on any gauges, wtf. Im surprised they still dont have the "NORMAL" gauge range making like they did on the pre-super duty trucks as well. :hehe:

And only a 100mph speedo? And they have a boost gauge but no oil pressure gauge?? Stupid.

ben

x2

wtf is it with ford and having worthless instrument clusters??? On the 2011 super duty's they [will] have that fancy gee-whiz-bang driver info center but STILL DONT have actual numbers on any gauges, wtf. Im surprised they still dont have the "NORMAL" gauge range making like they did on the pre-super duty trucks as well. :hehe:

And only a 100mph speedo? And they have a boost gauge but no oil pressure gauge?? Stupid.

ben

Now, do you guys complain about not having the actual numbers on the gauges because you cant do simple math or is it just too complicated for you to use?? If thats the case, stick to a Dodge or Chevy. Ford owners really dont want you

x2

ben

You cant really trust any factory gauges anyway. They are just glorified idiot lights.

x2

ben

mine isnt worthless it works pretty good. if i look down and see my needle on my boost gauge hits the three i use my 3rd grade math skills and figure thats thirty all while im driving! i know that seems crazy i can do all that multitasking and not drive off the road :hehe: who cares what the speedo goes too cause that doesnt mean thats as fast as the vehicle goes contrary to popular belief :bang an oil pressure gauge probably isnt a big concern anymore since are injectors arent driven off of oil pressure.

and your just jealous of our new gee whiz driver info center cause once again ford put somethin in there truck first that you wish yours had :kick:

If you have low oil pressure a guage aint gunna save your engine...

You cant really trust any factory gauges anyway. They are just glorified idiot lights.

the GM gauges are accurate, and have numbers on them. Im just saying it is possible, and nice to not have to spend 200 bucks on an aftermarket trans temp gauge, for example, to see how hot it is, not just "eh well its a little over halfway between 'too-hot' and cold"

ben

If you have low oil pressure a guage aint gunna save your engine...

idiot lights come on an an absurdly low number. Usually 4 or 5 psi. A gauge is nice when running the engine hard/hot because, while you may be above the idiot light threshold, you may be below the point that the engine oil is thoroughly cooling the pistons etc when you just towed up a big hill, or ran a pass down the 1/4 mile.

and your just jealous of our new gee whiz driver info center cause once again ford put somethin in there truck first that you wish yours had :kick:

once again? As if the fords have always had bazillion things that the GM's dont have?? Im not sure what you're getting at. There are dozens of other features that GM has had on trucks before ford if you really want to argue about this. (memory seats, a nice stereo, auto climate control, power fold mirrors, programmable door locking/headlight delays/etc, steering wheel controls, stability control, seatbelt pretensioners, 6spd trans, I could go on, but I wont)

the '11 superduty ford is brand new and not even out yet...so I would damn well hope it has the latest and greatest/better than GM electronic wizardry. My trucks electrical system and driver info center was basically designed/conceived in the mid/late 90's when the GMT-800's first came out, so what do you want from it? Thats like saying "haha loser, you're just jealous that my new C6 Z06 vette is faster than your '84 cross-fire C4 vette"

It would be pretty pathetic if the new ford DIDNT have something on the new super duty's that the 10+ year old GMT-800s did have...see what im saying?

the '11 super duty's are good looking trucks. The interiors are nice, and the 6.7 has some great performance potential (in my opinion) parts that, when figured out by the aftermarket, will be a monster. That, and the fact that they FINALLY have a 6-speed trans, makes it a formidable competitor to the other two mfg's of the big three.

Id definitely buy one as a second truck if I had the money.

just my opinion

ben

once again? As if the fords have always had bazillion things that the GM's dont have?? Im not sure what you're getting at. There are dozens of other features that GM has had on trucks before ford if you really want to argue about this. (memory seats, a nice stereo, auto climate control, power fold mirrors, programmable door locking/headlight delays/etc, steering wheel controls, stability control, seatbelt pretensioners, 6spd trans, I could go on, but I wont)

the '11 superduty ford is brand new and not even out yet...so I would damn well hope it has the latest and greatest/better than GM electronic wizardry. My trucks electrical system and driver info center was basically designed/conceived in the mid/late 90's when the GMT-800's first came out, so what do you want from it? Thats like saying "haha loser, you're just jealous that my new C6 Z06 vette is faster than your '84 cross-fire C4 vette"

It would be pretty pathetic if the new ford DIDNT have something on the new super duty's that the 10+ year old GMT-800s did have...see what im saying?

the '11 super duty's are good looking trucks. The interiors are nice, and the 6.7 has some great performance potential (in my opinion) parts that, when figured out by the aftermarket, will be a monster. That, and the fact that they FINALLY have a 6-speed trans, makes it a formidable competitor to the other two mfg's of the big three.

Id definitely buy one as a second truck if I had the money.

just my opinion

ben

haha i was talking about useful stuff that you can use. i dont care about memory seats i dont use mine, i usually always put an aftermarket stereo in anything and that bose isnt that great IMO, all the stuff your are listing are pretty much creature comforts. i have never seen a chevy with power fold mirrors, maybe ones that extend but not fold in. the super duty had the first adj. tow mirror, and the trailer brake system pretty sure they had a diesel engine before chevy. how about rear back up sensors? im not sure when chevy started useing them. yes they did have the first 6 speed but my torqshift is stronger than an allison so i dont mind not havin 6.

and i dont think the GMT 800 is a pickup truck cause thats what im talkin about just there pickups

haha i was talking about useful stuff that you can use.

yep I knew you were gonna throw that excuse/argument out there. How useful/necessary is that new instrument cluster screen in the 2011 super duty's? Tells you how to hook up a trailer? As if we dont already know how.

useful stuff you can use that gm had first; stability control being one, the programmable driver info center being another, seatbelt pretensioners, integrated/fully data bussed electrical architecture (2003), low coolant protection (engine goes into a special protection mode and you can drive for something like 75 miles with no coolant), drive by wire, etc

i dont care about memory seats i dont use mine, i usually always put an aftermarket stereo in anything and that bose isnt that great IMO, all the stuff your are listing are pretty much creature comforts. i have never seen a chevy with power fold mirrors,

well you're not looking hard enough. They've had them since 03.

how about rear back up sensors?

first offered on the GMT-800's in 2003.

pretty sure they had a diesel engine before chevy

nope. 1978 you could get the 350 diesel in pickup trucks, and 1982 you could get the 6.2. The ford/international 6.9 came out in 1983.

and i dont think the GMT 800 is a pickup

yeah no. try again. next? :rolleyes:

all im saying is, that was kind of a silly statement saying ford comes out with all the good ideas and GM copies them. The super duty in 2011 will be brand new...so uh yeah it will be better than everything else because the current GM pickups will have been out for almost 5 years by that point. And then in ~2013/14 GM will come out with their next generation pickups/SUV's and be ahead of ford, so its all just a reoccurring cycle as to who is on top at any given moment... As I said before, I cant wait for the 2011 super duty's. I think they will be a great, solid pickup truck and I hope they do well.

just my opinion.

ben

yep I knew you were gonna throw that excuse/argument out there. How useful/necessary is that new instrument cluster screen in the 2011 super duty's? Tells you how to hook up a trailer? As if we dont already know how.

useful stuff you can use that gm had first; stability control being one, the programmable driver info center being another, seatbelt pretensioners, integrated/fully data bussed electrical architecture (2003), low coolant protection (engine goes into a special protection mode and you can drive for something like 75 miles with no coolant), drive by wire, etc

well you're not looking hard enough. They've had them since 03.

first offered on the GMT-800's in 2003.

nope. 1978 you could get the 350 diesel in pickup trucks, and 1982 you could get the 6.2. The ford/international 6.9 came out in 1983.

yeah no. try again. next? :rolleyes:

all im saying is, that was kind of a silly statement saying ford comes out with all the good ideas and GM copies them. The super duty in 2011 will be brand new...so uh yeah it will be better than everything else because the current GM pickups will have been out for almost 5 years by that point. And then in ~2013/14 GM will come out with their next generation pickups/SUV's and be ahead of ford, so its all just a reoccurring cycle as to who is on top at any given moment... As I said before, I cant wait for the 2011 super duty's. I think they will be a great, solid pickup truck and I hope they do well.

just my opinion.

ben

well im workin with a guy right now that used to be a mechanic at chevy and he says he has never seen ones auto fold in with a button in the cab just move in and out, but i will keep an eye out.

back up sensors were at the same time then

im aware of when the 6.9 came out.

you were confusing me what the hell a GMT 800 is i thought it was there big heavy duty trucks didnt know it was the platform name.

Here's my .02...
If I had to make the choice between Ford and Dodge. and was going to keep the truck for at least 10years(who does anymore)
I would go Dodge, at least you can do your own repairs without having a body lift installed in your garage.

If you are looking at a truck to recycle in 5years, I'd get the Ford, I have driven both and hands down its quicker and smoother and nicer to drive out of the box( IMHO). But not so easy to work on.......
With that being said I wouldn't get rid of my 06 for either of them only because it's the easiest of them all to mod and service in my own garage.

If your looking for raw cheap hp then go with the 6.4. The best programing thus far is on the SCT with Innovative tunes. They went 12.70's-12.80's in a stock truck with nothing but a tuner, no intake no exhaust all stock hardware (except dpf). I can say though I'm going to test drive a new ford 6.7 and a 2010 6.7 dodge back to back and see what I like. I want to go to a 6 spd hand shaker and no one offers it but dodge now. Ford is coming out with a new 6 spd auto that is supposed to be stronger than the 5r110. I have a 600hp tune in my truck and 38's and with 115,000 miles the converter is a little tired. I like the simplicity of working on the cummins being I do all my own engine work. Thats really my only complaint about the ford is that its hard to do engine work with out either pulling the cab or pulling the trans. The mega cab is nice too and the absence of up pipes to leak is also a plus (something that is common on the fords and gm's). How ever the new ford with its inverted heads gets rid of the up pipes so still cant make a choice till I drive them both.

I would choose the 6.4 Ford by far has much nicer truck. Also i like the 6.4 alot more than the 6.7. From what ive seen the new dodge 68rfe is not alot more than half ton tranny. The 5r110 seems to be handling 500hp just fine.