6.7 or 5.9 rebuild?

12v rods should be plenty for what your after. Don't forget a good cam. Might as well port the head a little

Planning on porting the head that's why I'm doing the intake removal. And I don't know if I want to put in aftermarket cam. Seems like I read a thread not long ago from everyone not seeing any performance gain

And I don't know if I want to put in aftermarket cam. Seems like I read a thread not long ago from everyone not seeing any performance gain

or its possible no one understands how to grind a good cam to make power. a better grind will make more horsepower. PERIOD. and if your wanting low end spool and torque add some lobe lift to the cams existing specs and change nothing else.

I'd like to see who think an aftermarket cam from Hamilton, Maxxspool, colt etc does NOT make any gain in performance.

This is the thread I was referring to. I have heard though that spool up is improved so that would be a performance gain. But hp wise I was going off the synod. So 60 ft time would improve I imagine which would in turn improve et. Correct me if I'm wrong

or its possible no one understands how to grind a good cam to make power. a better grind will make more horsepower. PERIOD.
That's a nice claim, but can you prove it by providing hard data supporting it using an engine similiar to the OPs?

My 03 was just done this past year, three things i didnt do.. Cut pistons, billet rods, and side draft intake w/p&p. It is balanced and runs very smooth with tons of fuel and some twins.
Unfortunately i stress every time i race it due to the craftsmanship of the builder. For my own insurance i am going to pull it apart and redo most of it to make sure it was done right...again! I will add the billet rods and have a head completely built w/intake.
My point is no matter what you build do your research and know as much about the parts/work you can't do yourself. This will net you exactly what you want and how you want it, with the knowing it was done right.
I tried to save time and money, my builder turned out to be a joke.
Good luck!
Oh, 5.9 has my vote.

Last edited:
If your going that deep into the build you might as well get arp main studs, gorilla gurdle for the bottom end and depending on which charger you use get the good head studs. I like the H11's. they have longer threaded ends to contact the block and H11 material doesn't stretch from what I read on them. They are between the price of arp2000's and arp625's. many builders have reused them after builds. The arp2000's will stretch after multiple torques