6.7 Performance Internals

emkay

SPEEDFREAK
I am looking for recomendations to fix my 6.7. Engine has a bent rod and some significant scratches in the cylinder (wall where the piston runs). I inted to get it bored and replace the oem parts with some strobger stuff... what would you guys recommend? Specifically looking for pistons and rods.

Engine is actually equiped with single gtx4508r (with bd spool valve, no gate), all deleted, steed speed header, wildcard intake, hamilton springs, bbi injectors (stage 2), 175% cp3, 425 arps and stuff like lift pump etc...

Hope to get some input! THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP!!!

Id like to keep it „streetable“... no comp only truck. Budget is „get the reasonable best“... no one offs but serious, proven parts... I initially thought to do mahle monotherms and carillos, but no monotherms available and a lot of discussion carillos not being „the one and only“. Seems piston wise d&j and wiseco are available (what I know) but thats all i know from just reading „here and there“, no real „i tried this“ stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just seen Apex Diesel if offering their own rods for 2K a set. That's a better price than anything else I've seen. I would say if it's going to be a street truck, stick with stock pistons.

I just seen Apex Diesel if offering their own rods for 2K a set. That's a better price than anything else I've seen. I would say if it's going to be a street truck, stick with stock pistons.

Wasn't Apex using R&R? I could be mistaken!

Carillo's have been around a long time and have proven themselves. Maybe not the "cheapest" billet rod, but widely available. Monotherm pistons would be WAY overkill for your setup, and end up causing more problems with cylinder wear.
I'd stick with OEM pistons... Or, if you really want a better piston (that won't cause problems) get some Cummins QSB pistons.

Cummins 6.7 QSB piston bowl design is different(like a late 5.9 CR)than the 6.7 ISB( like an early 5.9 CR)

no one would argue that a reentrant style bowl, 03-04 & stock 6.7, would be a better piston choice for a street application looking to make power?

edit: defining "power" as; at or under 1000hp

Last edited:
From what little understanding I have is an open or "non-reentrant" style piston bowl would allow for more timing. I am running QSB pistons in my long rod 6.4l really only due to already having a cylinder head and injectors from my 2006, and buying pistons was cheaper than changing injectors. The stock 6.7 ISB piston bowl would be sufficient for 1000hp.

Thanks for all the input/ help!! Anyone with „tried and true“ experience on Wiseco or Arias Pistons? Seems both make 6.7 pistons with an oem style bowl design. As I have BBI injectors already with 6.7 spray pattern I think changing bowl design might not work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carillos are good, but I do know personally of a set letting loose at 1250 horse in a 5.9 common rail. X beams from D&J aren't much more expensive though, and have the pressure lubed wrist pin bushings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Carillos are good, but I do know personally of a set letting loose at 1250 horse in a 5.9 common rail. X beams from D&J aren't much more expensive though, and have the pressure lubed wrist pin bushings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah D&J just dropped the price down to what I paid for Wagler rods 6 months ago. :bang

Back