#6 intake push tube

sstockton

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of a cam swap, and can't get the #6 cylinder intake push tube out. I can't get it to go to either of the holes under the fire wall. I'm having trouble remember exactly how I got this guy when I pulled the head last year. Anyways, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. All others are out, just this little guy.
Sean

isnt there a rubber gromet that has to be removed? or did you already do that?

Yeah, there are two rubber gromets in the firewall directly above the #5 exhaust rod, and the #6 ex. push rod. The #6 intake rod sits right between the 2 holes. My all data says that those holes have to be used, but I just don't see how you can get it. I'm worried about bending the tube trying to force it to one of those holes.
Sean

you have to go way up and torwads the windshield in that opening thats how i just got mine out

So its ok to push the hell out of that rod to get it to that hole? I am just afraid of bending it. Well I'll give it a shot, and hopefully I can get this cam out tonight.
Sean

Well, I got it. Since my tranny is out I just jacked the front of the engine up a bit, and then I had the angle to get it lined up with the hole and it came right out. However, all that struggling trying to get it out earlier left it with about a 20* bend in it, so I'll be going down to dodge on monday I guess. Thats a bummer.
Sean

That sucks, I guess we all have those days, me alittle more than others. ha

Tell me about it. I was hoping to get the cam done today, and the AC tomorrow since the machine shop still hasn't gotten my flexplate done. Anyways, 9hours, a bent push tube and 1 pissed off girlfriend later, my stock cam still isn't out. It happens.
Sean

Tell me about it. I was hoping to get the cam done today, and the AC tomorrow since the machine shop still hasn't gotten my flexplate done. Anyways, 9hours, a bent push tube and 1 pissed off girlfriend later, my stock cam still isn't out. It happens.
Sean

What kind of Cam are you planning on running?

I have a helix 2 sitting on the tool box. Now the only issues are getting those tappets in the back to stick to the dowels. Once those are on, it shouldn't be too hard to do the switch itself. Apparently I can't put quite enough pressure on them back there to get them in.
Sean