600+ hp guys HELP PLEASE!

whitelightnin

So i have a 98 12v 3500 i have been building for about a two years now mods currently on the truck are:
silver bullet 66/s480
5X14 injectors
lc delivery valves
5k gov springs
street strip cam ( something around 180&230 lift)
5 way valve job
.093 lines
timing at 22 degrees
AIRDOG II
titanium keepers
retainers
60# valve springs
ARP studs
fire ringed
sb dd clutch
last dyno was around 650hp
i have blown the head gasket for the 2nd time now :bang its making 92psi of boost and im thinking my cylinder, drive pressure is to high. i want to stay at least at my current hp numbers if not more but i want it to be strreetable enough to take on a trip if i want to or to pull a small cattle trailor (20ft) and still make good power so which way should i go with thing guys i am in need of some help? Any info from you guys thats at this hp level would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like something wasn't done right (either the fire ringing, or one of the surfaces aren't flat). As you should easily be able to hold that kind of power with studs and fire rings. I have held more (as have many others on this board) have made more with stock bolts.

From what I have read, fire rings don't like heat cycles. I'm thinking that could cause issues...

Hopefully someone with more experience in that department will chime in.

When my brother first got his head O-ringed the same thing happened to him, the machine shop didn't say he needed a thicker head gasket. I don't remember if his blew once or twice but he figured out he needed a .020 thicker gasket.

Thanks guys for the help, wondering about fly-cut pistons and a bigger cam. How is that going to be driving on the street or pullin a trailor, never driven one with that done to it.

Sounds like something wasn't done right (either the fire ringing, or one of the surfaces aren't flat). As you should easily be able to hold that kind of power with studs and fire rings. I have held more (as have many others on this board) have made more with stock bolts.

This.

How many retorques are you doing before letting it eat? Also I was told to check the studs after every 5 hooks. May keep that in mind

I would probably look at P&P'ing the head while its off, as well as having a different machine shop look at it to be sure its flat/straight.

How many retorques are you doing on the new gaskets?

Im on stock bolts with a 0-ringed head with no issues.

i done 2 retorques after install, just been hooked to a sled 1 time. im pulling the whole motor and scrapping the old block and getting a new one its a 53 block. I thought i should go ahead and build the bottom end while its down any advice on that! Im wanting to get it more reliable also.

I wish there was someone reliable close to me that could cut o rings for me. Until then I'll keep rocking the stock head bolts 26* timing and 55psi boost :D

I'm only 560hp so you can ignore my rambling haha

So i have a 98 12v 3500 i have been building for about a two years now mods currently on the truck are:
silver bullet 66/s480
5X14 injectors
lc delivery valves
5k gov springs
street strip cam ( something around 180&230 lift)
5 way valve job
.093 lines
timing at 22 degrees
AIRDOG II
titanium keepers
retainers
60# valve springs
ARP studs
fire ringed
sb dd clutch
last dyno was around 650hp
i have blown the head gasket for the 2nd time now :bang its making 92psi of boost and im thinking my cylinder, drive pressure is to high. i want to stay at least at my current hp numbers if not more but i want it to be strreetable enough to take on a trip if i want to or to pull a small cattle trailor (20ft) and still make good power so which way should i go with thing guys i am in need of some help? Any info from you guys thats at this hp level would be greatly appreciated.

reason for the full cuts and lines on a street truck?

I'm running 24 degrees timing and 65psi boost, with no retorques, but also standard head gasket not firering

how far apart between retorques smoke machine? just to more fuel to the injector, rethinking the lc delivery valves know though. Young guns five fifty to me is a good number too, at least your is still together at the moment unlike mine hahaha.

92lbs of boost and only 650HP? your doing something wrong. What are the turbine selections on your turbos? any waste gates? you should monitor drive pressure.

Back