600+ hp guys HELP PLEASE!

^^^^ That is what I am thinking as well. The sb has a big turbine and so-so internal wastegate for high HP, but certainly that is more than enough at 650. The primary should be a non-issue. But 92 psi screams huge restriction somewhere. I only see 74psi at 900hp.

^^^^ That is what I am thinking as well. The sb has a big turbine and so-so internal wastegate for high HP, but certainly that is more than enough at 650. The primary should be a non-issue. But 92 psi screams huge restriction somewhere. I only see 74psi at 900hp.

Like he said. I was getting good power, but really high boost numbers (90-100psi+). Finally blew the intercooler and had a melt down on the turbo wastegate arm. Put in a better intercooler, boost went down, but power went up. Unfortunately, I found out the headgasket had went along with the other parts. Damn crappy intercooler :doh:

Just my limited knowledge of metal tells me that you would NOT want to do a re-torque with the engine hot... and thats because when metal is hot it expands and when its cold it shrinks, for lack of better words. Am I wrong?

I tightened down to the same tq value when the motor was hot a few times. I did not bust them loose as I used ample lube and did not feel it was necessary nor was I interested in giving the stud a chance to not at least get back to the level of clamp it had before the hot re torque (really just a hot torque given I did not bust them loose). I ended up with more crush into the fire ring of the head gasket verified by a reduction in lash of .003-.004" if I remember correctly. The fire ring in the gasket is likely easier to crush into when at running temps which is why a-1 recommended the hot retorques, or that is my guess anyway.

Stock used head bolts with orings has been working great for me at 55psi....

Okay, well that makes some sense... I guess I was primarily focused on the studs themselves. Didn't even think about rings. :doh:

Back