6200lb, 4x4, Diesel...See where I'm headed?

TwoStroke

Thompson Diesel
Me and a coworker has been throwing around the idea of building a Pro Stock 4x4 but with a diesel. >31" bar tires single charger, dakota/s10 body...I think it would be a fun class and fun to watch. Just don't want to go through with it and not be able to hook except exhibition.

Whats the opinions on it?

If you think the gas boys will leave you play...they might...most will be pissed before the season is over. Never the less, it would be fun while it lasted!

Why not just put street tires on it an find a 3.0 open drive train class. Then add some more weight.

i think most of the rules are naturally aspirated for classes like that but who knows they might let you pull

Mini diesel 4x4 class is what im thinking...sort of a mod on a budget so to speak.

Don't most rules state for 3.0 class that it has to be a 3/4 ton or 1 ton body, so no Rangers, s10's, Dakotas....

Don't most rules state for 3.0 class that it has to be a 3/4 ton or 1 ton body, so no Rangers, s10's, Dakotas....

I think PPL basically did away with all body and frame rules. Just has the 158" wheelbase and that is it. Not positive, I will have to check now.

We are building a 6200lbs Super Mod 4x4 to run against the gassers up here in Ontario, Canada. They actually opened up there rules 2 years back to allow diesels to run with them as there truck numbers I believe where declining and the fans wanted to see something new and different in the class. Back 10 years ago it was a NA Motor class only and they could run over 600 cubic inches. They then introduced the blower motors when they figured they need a change to the class. They are running a max of 8-71 blowers which leveled the playing field between the two motor types.

Anyway, we are building a truck for the class now, running there rules...and they are happy to see something new come into the class and can't wait for it to be finished!

RyanB

Is this the alky motor you have talked about building?

Im not really wanting to run against the 4x4 gas trucks, thought about trying to get a class going of mini diesel trucks. Keep the rules simple, light weight, bar tires, single charger and limit the wheelbase to an s10 or comparable size truck.

Might be able to run 1 ton drive line if they are light enough, and not have to worry about profabs and such. I think if the class came about it would grow pretty quickly. Everybody has started whining about rules so much lately why not start a light weight class and have simple rules? Limit the exhaust side of the chargers, wheelbase and weight...thats it.

Is this the alky motor you have talked about building?
QUOTE]

Never talked about building an alky motor...wanted to know how they worked though. Anyway, we are running our diesel powered cummins up agains the blower alky trucks

Ryan

twostroke, if you are serious, I know of at least one other guy in KY (besides me) that would be ALL for this and has even talked with the folks with NTPA and they aren't really saying no, just not saying yes it either... they are listening! With them it would be gas vs diesel in same class. at first anyways. power level real similar to the current 2.6 class trucks (maybe last years power level since it's gone up quite a bit this year :D )

I think you better limit the turbo some or you will have someone with plenty of money put a mod level engine in the light chassis. And I still think it will require profabs and 2 ton diffs. tube frames would be req'd because those little truck frames aren't gonna handle that power & torq.

I'd change course on my build tmrw if this class came to fruition!!! currently building for 2.6 but would switch it up in a second if this class were an option!!

I've been wanting to do this kind of build for a couple of years now. Thank for reading my mind. Haha

If the weight is light enough a mod engine would probably blow the tires off. But allow tube frames and limit wheelbase. Pretty much only restrict engine to single turbo w/xx A/R housing and see how it goes. Try and keep the drive line 1ton or smaller and if guys have trouble lighten them up a tad. Allow street tires also say >35" and restrict the bar tires to >31"

We are talking about trucks like N2Deep, right? Those guys are making about what you are for power and not near the torq and they run clutch cans, drop boxes, reversers, big rears and most are D60 front with some 106s. They are NA motors, small body trucks, and they can make them hook so much harder than any street chassis based truck ever thought of... I'd be surprised if someone could find a way to get an unlimited single charger truck to hook up, even at the light weight.

And there is still no way a 1-ton driveline will hold it, at least not without paying for the high dollar big spline shafts and stuff. Where you'd be better off just running f106 or sqhd or something. heck the Stock II (guess it might have a new name by now) class that is full body 4wd at 6200 or 6500# is in the neighborhood of power that the 2.6 class is and they are starting to run big rearends too.

I think the class would be fun, I been thinking about building a truck to run Ken-Ten in the mod class in run one large single. They let diesel in the mod class in the past. I think 1 ton drive train would hold up. Just have to have truck set up right.

I just don't see how. Those trucks hook way too hard as gassers for 1-ton parts, let alone putting twice the torq to it. Sure, the 1-ton stuff with big $2500 axles and spool will hold but shoot, might as well run big driveline if you're doing that, no?

Back