64/65 vs 62/71

Ph4tty

I'm nobody
Its not much of a difference. I stumbled across a deal and had been wanting to try something different so I went for it- its a HTT 62/72/14 vs my old II 64/65/14.

Max boost and egts seem to be the same for me: 35+ and 1350. The 62 actually feels lazier spooling from low boost on the highway, but seems to come out of a mild lug pretty easily.

Really the biggest difference I see is responsiveness has been increased. Boost at cruise seems to be slightly lower and cruise egts are up, but a quick blip of the throttle results in 5-10 more lbs of boost. On my test hill egts were down 50 due to boost coming up a bit quicker.

Overall it wasn't worth the effort as far as driving manners go, but spool kick in harder and I'm hoping the low pressure turbine will free up a couple ponies.

I was close to the same but with an extra step inbetween.. I had a 64/65/14 at first and it was just too laggy for my liking. I sent it back to HTT because they told me their new 64/71/17 would spool quicker and the wastegate would actually work, I had a bad problem with blowing right past my wastegate with the 64/65... The new turbo was still too laggy, but once it hit, it was all at once and felt really good.. I just swapped it with a II 62/71/14 and the spoolup is a bit earlier and more gradual instead of all at once.. And like you said, my EGT's are down about 50* climbing the 10% grade near my house. But still feels good for the RPM's I run (I only run to 3500).. I need to bump my timing 3* so I am sure this smaller turbo will be even more of a good thing since I will lose a little bottom end.. I think it's innevitable that I get a small set of twins down the road though..

Lucky Jeff said:
I was close to the same but with an extra step inbetween.. I had a 64/65/14 at first and it was just too laggy for my liking. I sent it back to HTT because they told me their new 64/71/17 would spool quicker and the wastegate would actually work, I had a bad problem with blowing right past my wastegate with the 64/65... The new turbo was still too laggy, but once it hit, it was all at once and felt really good.. I just swapped it with a II 62/71/14 and the spoolup is a bit earlier and more gradual instead of all at once.. And like you said, my EGT's are down about 50* climbing the 10% grade near my house. But still feels good for the RPM's I run (I only run to 3500).. I need to bump my timing 3* so I am sure this smaller turbo will be even more of a good thing since I will lose a little bottom end.. I think it's innevitable that I get a small set of twins down the road though..

64/71/17???

zstroken said:
64/71/17???
whoopssss.. did I forget to mention that before I sent it to you? :hehe:

just kidding.. I meant 13.. And I forgot to tell you, I never had it over 35 psi, that's where the wastegate was when I got it and I just left it there.. (was worried about the headgasket, didn't have all the re-toruqes)

Sorry for the hijack...

lol, no problem, would have been interesting with the 17. I actually have a use for a 17 though!

Ph4tty said:
Its not much of a difference. I stumbled across a deal and had been wanting to try something different so I went for it- its a HTT 62/72/14 vs my old II 64/65/14.

Max boost and egts seem to be the same for me: 35+ and 1350. The 62 actually feels lazier spooling from low boost on the highway, but seems to come out of a mild lug pretty easily.

Really the biggest difference I see is responsiveness has been increased. Boost at cruise seems to be slightly lower and cruise egts are up, but a quick blip of the throttle results in 5-10 more lbs of boost. On my test hill egts were down 50 due to boost coming up a bit quicker.

Overall it wasn't worth the effort as far as driving manners go, but spool kick in harder and I'm hoping the low pressure turbine will free up a couple ponies.

Yeah that bigger exhaust wheel over the 65 should help out alot for top end power but prob no different then your 64 if not laggier driven around town.