67 camaro dumax swap in future

wow ok well then i have a half decent start then if he will sell me the dang car

i was thinking nv4500 or the zf6speed

yes i know its going to take some time but i dont mind i want to do this right the first time

thank for your info
both of those are tall trannys
IMO
T-56 would work better it can be built to handle 1000lb.... 1 1/8 imput shaft will be the first thing to break... wouldnt drag race with the tranny tho...

DD t-56 IMO i talked to peter at SBC about a big single clutch setup.. good for about 600hp fw/plate and disc for 800ish i have been thinking about puting a dmax in my wagon for some time now.

the FW on a dmax is ~4.5" thick most manual are 4" form mounting surface to through out bearing for most GM tannies

race TH400/4L85

I would go with an auto if this is going to be drag specific. A manual would be cool, but like mentioned the diesel ones are tall and the T-56 isn't really cheap. By the time you buy a clutch and the T-56 you could almost have some sort of suncoast allison. I heard a suncoast stg3 allison was some where around $4k installed. So if you can find a core and have it rebuilt with good parts I think you would be further ahead in the long run. I was going to use a NV4500 in mine at first too. I then saw how much room I didn't have and made some choices. LOL

I would go with an auto if this is going to be drag specific. A manual would be cool, but like mentioned the diesel ones are tall and the T-56 isn't really cheap. By the time you buy a clutch and the T-56 you could almost have some sort of suncoast allison. I heard a suncoast stg3 allison was some where around $4k installed. So if you can find a core and have it rebuilt with good parts I think you would be further ahead in the long run. I was going to use a NV4500 in mine at first too. I then saw how much room I didn't have and made some choices. LOL

i would agree on an auto tranny....

T-56 with all the goodies is ~3500 ....junk yard would be cheaper... but get allum shift forks, brass synchros instead of carbon fiber and steel forks
lake wood ball housing ~300
clutch form SBC round to 1000
HYD master and slave (i went 3rd gen MC and a mcloed hyd through out) got 400 in the setup.
specs on a T56
http://www.ddperformance.com/t56dia.jpg
SC3 kit is ~2400

1234447914.jpg

1234447690.jpg

1234447912.jpg

Get in contact with member "morris" on here... he's putting a hopped up (750rwhp #2, 1000rwhp n2o) DMAX in a show/strip Camaro as we speak. He's gonna try a built 4l80/85 from Art Carr IIRC. With the weight of the car being much lighter than a truck, some think the lighter duty (compared to the allison) 4l80/85 can be made to handle the rigors of drag racing. Reasoning for going with it is overall outside dimensions are a good bit smaller than an allison. I suppose time will tell if it holds up in Brad's car. He isn't one to take it easy on something (races a lot!) so he should find out if it'll work or not.

If you go with the 4L80/85 transmission, the duramax came with them in the vans so you should be able to get that setup to work relatively easily.

Do you have any idea about the logistics of the wiring and all that stuff or just not mentioning it yet because your a good bit out from actually diving into this??? Either way, PPE can modify the harness for you so that it's a "5 wire" deal which should make it really nice as far as wiring goes.

I'd recommend getting a complete donor truck though that way you have all the little things at your disposal... i.e. throttle pedal assembly, wiring, computers, etc. That'll be easier and better than trying to piece-mill things together.

Good luck. This should be another dmax conversion that's sweet!!!

C-ya

o i really no logistics of the wireing yet been trying to get the car for 2 years so i am hoping soon i can get the car and start the project 1 paycheck at a time. i am pretty much ready to give up truck pulling and build this car for a sweet driver/and lots of racing

o i really no logistics of the wireing yet been trying to get the car for 2 years so i am hoping soon i can get the car and start the project 1 paycheck at a time. i am pretty much ready to give up truck pulling and build this car for a sweet driver/and lots of racing

helms manual for the engine wireing would be a very good idea as well..

Back