68rfe opinions, need advice

Black Ice

c-pop
Kinda new to these trannys. Been a manual guy for the most part. Have an 08 g56 truck now, looking at buying a 2012 auto. Wouldnt be running more than a mini and deletes. How are the factory 68s holding up to a tuner.

With the O/D software i've been hearing good things. What i've been told is you can build a 68 to handle 500 hp, but that's pretty much it. If you honestly think you can resist the urge to do more than a tuner, i'd say you'll be ok for a good while

Running a mini and OD tune on a stock 68. No issues so far and have towed a few loads way over what I should have. But, I don't beat on my truck either. I'd say with the OD tune you'll be good unless you get stupid and start roasting the tires every 5 seconds. Buy the OD tune. It is WELL worth it. Stock program sucks ass. $.02

Good to hear, kinda what I was hoping for. Have an 08 g56 truck now, looking to go to an auto. Thanks for the info guys.

from what I've heard the 4th gen 68 is a lot tougher than the 3rd gen one. with OD there's a few over 500 and I've heard of one holding close to 650 in stock form. beyond that revmax and ats both build one that'll handle 850

revmax and ats both build one that'll handle 850

for how long? That is the question. Is this a proven statement yet? I have been under the impression that SunCoast has the line on the new 68's so far.....hearsay, but that's what I've heard.

Hoping to have my 4th gen this week, hope its true that these trannys are tougher than the third gens. Guess we will see

I have an 11 with OD tuning. No troubles. Runs great. I've beat on it a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the balls off of mine expecting to put a Suncoast in.... But I couldn't hurt it. So it's still in there 60,000 miles later. Trucks on 37's with 4.56 gears.

Currently in the process of testing a few new things for the 68rfe.

Mine is holding up I tuned the truck the first month i had it and I never got the od tune. I have almost 20xxx miles 90% tuned.

Mine went out in less than 3k miles with tunes on it and I had the TCM software on it

On an 08. Mini max, trans tuning and hot unlocks. Also have a Suncoast triple disc converter. Have 115k on the truck now and no issues. Been running it like that for over a year.

Last edited:
Well, got my 2012. Put the mini on and added the trans tuning. Holding pretty well so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Yeah, a low stall converter makes a huge difference as well!!
Completely worth it, along with tune...