6BT Grand Wagoneer

turbomatt1

Design Limit Investigator
anybody stuffed a 6BT into a big Jeep yet ??
I just bought a clean 90 Grand Wagon that knocks. It's got the Chrysler 727 tranny... my thoughts are to find a 89 or 90 Cummins 727 case & build this tranny in it, fab some motor mounts & drop a 1st gen motor right in.

Any free wisdom out there ???

Talk to the guys at www.ifsja.org. I had the same idea for a while, but now think a 4bt would be a better fit. The 6bt could be stuffed in, but would require heavier axles / suspension. The 4bt would fit without modding axles / suspension and can make all the power / torque you need in a GW. It would handle much nicer than a 6bt too! You could conceivably get a 4bt with twice the mileage, power and torque of the existing 360. I believe you could even get a 47RE tranny in there. There are standalone computers to run most overdrive transmissions. Check out www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com. As a sidenote, Cummins now makes a 4bt displacing 4.5 litres. I believe it is a derivative of the new 6.7. Imagine a quiet diesel in a stock looking Wagoneer pulling down 30 mpg.

There was one in one of the 4wd mags this month. It was full of Readers Rides. He put the wagoneer's frame on a w-250 chassis.

nm50 said:
As a sidenote, Cummins now makes a 4bt displacing 4.5 litres. I believe it is a derivative of the new 6.7. Imagine a quiet diesel in a stock looking Wagoneer pulling down 30 mpg.

Yes they do, but most are structural blocks, and as heavy as a older 6bt;)

If it were me, I'd go with a 4BT, maybe one with an inline pump if you wanna hot rod it some! Sometime I'll be putting a 4BT into a 89 Cherokee!

Chris

Last edited: