7.3 bogging down and dying at 40+mph?

johnhaynes18

:bang just bought me a 99 7.3 and bought it messed up and well trying to figure out what the hells wrong with it. it boggs down around 40 mph and has no power getting there didnt know if anybody had any input. buddy ran a scan tool and codes p0113, p1119, p1427 and p0541 came up so just trying to ffigure out where to go from here. o and the trucks got high milage 300,000+ but supposivly had a rebuild bout 100,000 miles ago bt dont believe it haha, and if it means anything its a 6 speed stick. any input would be greatly appreciated and if i left anything out ill be sure to post again. thanks guys

:thankyou2:

O and when it gets up to speed all it does is blacksmoke like a freight train and then slowly boggs down and sometimes dies, but if you stop the truck and slowly start up again it's back to normal

p0113 - Air Intake Temperature Circuit High Input
p1119 - Manifold Absolute Temperature Circuit High Input
p1427 - EGI Mini - MAF Failed Short Circuit
p0541 - Manf Intake Air Heater Circ Low

That might help some.

I didn't find this link till the last code, but it looks like a gem to have in your bookmarks. http://www.cherod.com/mustang/Docs/DTC_Codes.pdf

Can you verify that it has adequate intake air flow? Maybe air filter stopped up solid, or the intake duct is collapsing under power?

Does it miss and shake, or just smoothly fall on it's face and roll coal?

If it's smooth, I'd be checking for adequate airflow, because black smoke suggests that first of all, that there is fuel, secondly that the timing is proper, and more importantly that there's insufficient air.

Remove the intake duct from the turbo and ensure that it's turning at idle if the rest of the intake system seems okay.

After that I would remove the passenger's side charge air tube and run the engine to see if a rag or something has been sucked into the intercooler or CAC ductwork somewhere.

You're sure the smoke is black right?

yea the smoke is black as can be, it has little to no power throught the whole powerband. and its smooth dying untill about 15mph and under then it feels like your running out of diesel and hopping everywhere but is still bellowing blacksmoke

and at start up the smoke is a little white mixed in with the black but that should be normal when its cold outside and goes away when warm

If you've got black smoke then you've got fuel, and black instead of blue means the timing can't be bad enough to be causing this.

You either have nearly no oil pressure and it's just vomiting the fuel into the cylinders or you've got no airflow.

I would start with airflow.

okay ill try with airflow and then with oil pressure and see where that goes, thanks for the input charles its greatly appreciated!!! :thankyou2:

Well, if one part of the puzzle is missing or messed up, it's inevitably going to mess up other stuff. Check the airflow stuff. Try not to run the engine till you think you have part of the problem fixed.

so opend the ebpv valve and theres no turbo whistle? the turbo isnt spooling or anthing, could the turbo be shot and if so would a rebuild kit solve that problem? thanks

John, there are several things that can contribute to this.

First like has been mentioned, check the air flow. But what they aren't telling you is this. With 300k on the motor, and one rebuilt, the intercooler may be jam packed with oil and funk. The crank case vent is vented into the intake side of the turbo. This in turn pumps oily vapor through the entire intake tract. And that's the reason you see oil around all the intercooler boots.

The only way to test that is find a way to bypass the intercooler. If it's an early 99 you can do it with an old body style intake (94.5-97).

But I want to back up for a second. When did you buy the truck, and EXACTLY what have you done to service it so far. That info is important.

Does the truck miss? If not, you have air flow or fuel flow problems. Have you drained the fuel bowl and changed the fuel filter? Have you checked fuel pressure? ETC.

The Anna said the codes translated to map errors. First and foremost, is the map line connected? This should be a hose that runs from the center of the intake manifold (spyder) to just above the HVAC box on the passenger side firewall. If it is connected, does it have a hole in it from rubbing the intercooler tube. If it's in good shape. The map sensor may be shot.

Have you changed the oil, what did it look like? Air filter? As far as the turbo not spooling, that's not the issue. The EBPV can be unplugged under the compressor side of the turbo. It's a black 2 wired connector. Just unplug it and the valve will stay open.

Okay, there is some food for thought. If it's not missing, it can be fixed. Don't worry about the smoke, it's a byproduct of the fuel or air not working right. We'll get it figured out.

hey thanks for the post, thats some damn good information! im not the one actually working on it its in my home town about 200 miles from me but ill get my buddy workn on it to check that out and go fromt there also. as for the map sensor it was shot and in the process of getting a new one. and ive checked the oil and it looks black and thick and a little low. havent changed any filters except the air filter. and the truck does not miss, can you describe miss to me maybe it does? and havent got the hose checked i dont think so ill have him check that out too... Im about 90 percent sure its not missing cause it runs and idles just fine just no power and a huge mnifold leak and then boggs down and sometimes even dies when it hits 40mph or so and slowly slows down and acts like its running out of fuel when its bellowing it out.. thanks for your respond!!!

are you sure you didn't blow a intercooler boot off thats whats it sounding like would explain most everything except the dying

well ill check that but the biggest problem is it is dying whenever your at 40 or so mph and it slows down and boggs down and acts like its sputtering(running out of fuel)

That's a sticking point for me too. I had an old Nova that had a kinked fuel line. It ran fine up until 50mph and then it sputtered and died. But with the codes you're throwing, I do believe there is a malfunction in the air side somewhere. I know on some gasser fords, if you have a screwy MAF sensor, they will die at idle.

Back