7.3 IDI To A 7.3 Powerstroke

StrokerAce

Smooth Is Fast
I hope this is the right forum for this because it is kind of a conversion but not really. I have a buddy at work who's 93 IDI has seen better days and he is looking for a newer motor. I have tried to talk him into doing cummins conversion but he does not want to put the time and money into it since it is only a farm truck. Since it is the same motor with the turbo added and I'm sure electrical differences, what would it take to put a 7.3 Powerstroke in place of the IDI?

I hope this is the right forum for this because it is kind of a conversion but not really. I have a buddy at work who's 93 IDI has seen better days and he is looking for a newer motor. I have tried to talk him into doing cummins conversion but he does not want to put the time and money into it since it is only a farm truck. Since it is the same motor with the turbo added and I'm sure electrical differences, what would it take to put a 7.3 Powerstroke in place of the IDI?

you would need a doner truck to do it or find an engine with IDM, PCM and wiring wiring harness to start. then it would be a good idea to run the injectors and put new O-rings on them.
I bleed blue but think the 12V Cummins would be easier and less expensive.

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for the info. I am actually just down the road in Waynesville and have been toying with the idea of putting a common rail cummins in my 6.0 F-250 sometime down the road. Is that a job that you guys would be willing to do? Also, are you going to hold another event a Kil Kare this year. Thanks again.

Chris

Chris,

yes we can do the engine swap, something we would sit down and work out so we both know where the parts are coming from.

on the race, we will probably do it in the fall again if we do it.

Jay