7.3 Question

dieselmania

Look, i have some questions about the 7.3. What are the good years to own? I have an '06 that was given to me and wondering if its worth rebuilding. I have an '75 IH Scout II that i am planning to put this 7.3 in. Also wondering if it can be converted into mechanical injection or would i have to leave it as is. When did they go to electronic? I am a cummins guy but this is an old project that i am currently working on. Thanks for any help that you can give.

7.3 liter power strokes ended in '03? if you have an '06 ford its a 6.0 power stroke.

ok makes sense! haha i've had a '02 7.3 but didn't have much work done to it so i know next to nothing about them :(

Ive got a buddy that just put a 96 block and 02 heads in his 2002 f-350

94.5 the 7.3 Power Stroke started. Thats when they switched from IDI motors to electronic, HEUI, direct injected motors. Any years are fine motor wise. 02 and 03 motors have PMRs and are not nearly as desirable as the forged rod motors from 94.5-01.

As for mechanical injection, it can be done and if done right will make HUGE power numbers.... Only downside is you better be ready to drop $15-20 grand (and thats just to convert the injection system, not including supporting mods to make it strong and turbos, etc).

Last edited:
good to know, thanks. ok if i keep it HEUI what are other options that would make this a reliable and powerful. Looking to keep it around 500hp, since it will be in my 4x4 scout II. Also looking for a good assembly manual.

WOP GQSSB Turbo, Terminator Dual HPOS, Strictly Diesel Fuel System, DP Tuner F8 Chip, WOP Stage II 200cc injectors, BTS Transmission, 4" Dual Exhaust, AFE Stage II intake. heres my setup and it makes 531rwhp

250/200 injectors, 38r, srp1 hpop, studs, springs, and good tunes would be the cheapest route to ~500hp. Dont forget the tranny.

Back