8.3 all out power ideas

gstanfield

Are we there yet?
At the risk of my wife killing me I have been looking at this truck parked next to my shop. It is a mid 90's peterbuilt single rear axle regular cab with the 8.3 cummins and 180,000 miles. The story on it is that it was used for a daily run across the state and back and the guy who owned/operated it had health issues that required him to retire early. It seems to be in very sound condition. I'm not sure what transmission it has, but I am definately thinking it would be a fun toy. I would shorten the frame, stick a dually bed on the back and have me a Peterbuilt pickup.

SO, does anyone have an idea of just how much power can be had from a 8.3 cummins? I don't know if it is mechanical or electonic but I'm thinkiing it would be a fun toy to play with.

Ideas, links, suggestions????

Thanks,
George

I'm not sure yet on how much power is to be had but I'm installing a 94 8.3 in a 83 Chevy CCab C60 which has the 275hp P7100. I plan on doing some of the same mods to the pump that I'v done to my Dodge. I've had the chance to slide the stock plate foward and block off the waste gate on a Ford F800 which had a 250hp 8.3 and that thing would MOVE down the road with 1000gal of water in the tank. I can't wait to get mine going:evil .

Sweet! I'll have to check and see if this thing has a P7100 on it. If it does, and given the extra displacement I think 800hp should be able to be achieved with a little pump work, huge turbo, timing advance, and a little trial and error tweaking. The hp:torque ratio should be pretty darn good too.

George

george what model peteis this ?
an how much i meant cheap can u get it for i got my checkbook in my truck warming up to come to wy. if price is good

Now Ben, George might not want to sell his future toy out from under himself LOL

i gotta try
lol if its big enough i got a use for it lol ? dude billy i got a turbo tday an it is huge its for a 12.7DDECIV DETROIT i bet this thing would put out the psi 5inch in an 5 inch out

And you are going to put it on what?? My truck?? :evil LOL LOL

Somewhere along the way I herd PDR built an 8.3 for a boat that put out 1000hp. The only thing I can see that maybe a problem with going crazy on the 8.3 is possible headgasket issues with large amounts of boost.

I'm not sure what model Pete it is. I only know it is a regular cab with a single rear axle and a 8.3L The guy is asking $11k for it and it's been sitting there for a couple of months so I was thinking of offering him $8,500 and see what he couters with. Then again I still have to get it approved through the fun police (Mrs. Stanfield) and I'm in the middle of a bike build as well so..... if she says no I'll shoot you the info :)

George

Garmon has an 8.3 in his pete.... used to have twins

My insurance company told me that if I paid cash and had no lein on it and painted "not for hire" on the side that it would not be much more to insure than my Dodge. He didn't give me a quote, just said "it won't be much more than your current truck" If I get closer to buying it I will check out all the other stuff. I know it could be an expensive toy and considering that I currently have 9 licensed vehicles I don't know if the wife will go for another one anyway :(

George

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya George

You can always tell a dodge owner....Lots and lots of spare vehicles to drive.....

:hehe:
muttley.gif

Do you know what trans is in it? And RC- its called a Day-cab.. LOL You can have the injectors looked at and pookied up along with the pump- that can be 'flowed' also. If it is elec, you can take it to a Pete dealer and they can retune the program to give it a little more. Do ya have any pics? What w.b. is it? LOL LOL LOL We're in the middle of sweetening my brothers 89 Pete-379 extended hood. We just took the 6" stacks off and put on a GRAND ROCK 7" Retro Dual Miters in its place...:evil: It looks killer. Please alittle more info..... And pics....:evil:

Last edited:
I may have jumped the gun a little. I talked to my wife about it and she said I could have it, but first I had to get us a bigger place to live with a few acres so I have room for my toys and a shop to work on them in. I guess that means no for now, maybe next year Ican find another one. It is a day cab, not sure if it's a long nose or standard nose I can't tell by looking. I could get some pics of it this weekend to post up, but at this point it's kinda pointless for me. :(

On the bright side of thigns, my wife said she would be really really happy if I would get us out of the city this summer and get a place with a bigger house, room for a couple horses, room to make a dirt bike track and at least a 30'x40' shop. She keeps me in check at times, but I gotta say I sure do love that girl. :)

George

oh heck darn ok guess u get it hehe good going george if i can help any let me know . billy what you got to trade for the turbo?

well, I can have it IF I get us a new palce to live before it sells :( In all reality this means I don't get it. You never know though.

George