8.3 Cummins?

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
I've been thinkin for quite a while and am curious why no one has ever made a 8.3 cummins pull truck for a super mod? I've seen a DT466 in a truck as well as an 8v92 detroit. As far as I know the 8.3 has been a fairly good engine? If the average joe didn't know cummins engines, it'd be hard for them to tell the difference between a 12 valve and an 8.3 I think. Isn't the 8.3 sleeved so in theory it should be stronger? I know the 5.9 has been tried and proven time and time again and are able to get more rpms with less stroke but is there a point where you would want the torque of a bigger stroke 8.3L? I'm just curiously thinking out loud here and wondered why I have never seen or heard of this yet

I think they have weak cranks, can't handle the R's and high boost

The heads suck. Cummins screwed that one up. They should have perfectly copied everything about a 5.9, only bigger.

Theres a few good running 8.3's in some tractors running around the midwest, even think there's a billet head for it

Ive been working on these for years and I would say they are like a big brother to the 5.9,have yet to see a crank problem,or a block problem. I dont see why it wouldnt run just as good as a dt466.

I have a hot farm project im starting on and Its gonna be a 8.3 powered G1050 moline. Im looking to give the half dozen 1066s a run for their money at every pull. might be hard to compete with 800ci 6030s though.

There is a 3,000rpm tractor running around South Ohio that is running an 8.3 cummins that runs pretty darn good.

mine will be p-pump open rpms. might try to increase cubes too.

The guy that pulls the 8.3L around here has to be close to 585. I'll ask him next time I get a chance

I can't find any. I'll get one at the next pull he is at.

Todd, have you seen butler pull lately? I haven't seen him all year, but I haven't made it to many pulls

I know of some tractors using de-cubed 8.3s and running them on alcohol. They seem to hold up good at 1300-1400 hp.
There are some super farms running the 8.9 block that is bored and stroked out to 600+ ci. They're running 1300ish hp too but with way more block breaking torque and they also seem to hold up pretty good.
In general though no one holds the 8.3 in high regard like the 5.9.

Last edited:
I was talking to a diesel shop in ohio that dynoed one at 1700hp,but dont know the ci.