8.3 vs 5.9ppump

dipapadakis

how do the barrels & plungers in an 8.3 pump compare to ours along with the cam would there be any advantages in any of the parts in one of these pumps?

Majority are the same thing seen a few here and there with different style DV holders

The 8.3 ppump I have came with 11mm plungers. Its a 250hp auto governor

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Stick with a 5.9L pickup application pump...they have plenty of potential and are a better base to build on than any 8.3L pump I've seen

My friend was running an 8.3 pump on his 96 for a while. It ran good but an 8.3 pump needs more money dumped into it to make power/ run correctly than the automotive 5.9 pump does. His originally governed at 2200 so he put in a 4k kit and it still never ran like it should, we think the dv's were too small.

Last edited:
just remember the 8.3 uses less fuel to make the same power. im not sure what the highes hp rated automotive rated version but the marine version was 450hp and used less fuel to make it than the 370hp b motor did..

i have one laying around it uses less fuel to make the same power? due to the barrels and plungers or more so towards the cam would it benefit to rebuild my pump with the 8.3 cam or barrels and plungers? anybody experiment with this before?

I think he means its uses less fuel when its on the 8.3. The 8.3 is a bigger engine all around so it makes sense.

i have one laying around it uses less fuel to make the same power? due to the barrels and plungers or more so towards the cam would it benefit to rebuild my pump with the 8.3 cam or barrels and plungers? anybody experiment with this before?

Read what has already been posted. The cam and barrel/plunger set-up in the 8.3l pumps are not desirable. More fuel can be had from a pickup application 5.9l

Sorry, i read that completely wrong. thanks that was my initial thought on it, just thinking if i could put it to use as i got it for free... into the parts pile!

Last edited:
Back