8.3L C-series twins

Alright here are the turbos I plan to use. The small one is a gt4508v off of a c12 cat. Its measurements are 67/75/1.15. The other is a s410g off of a c15 cat. Its measurements are 75/84/1.42. Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_20140304_131453675_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140304_131453675_HDR.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
Should Be fun when you start torquing on that 1st gen frame. What you using for axles/transmission?

I plan to box and add crossmembers to the frame as needed. I either have a fully built and trussed 14 bolt thats ready to go or will consider a Dana 80. I do not ever plan to hook a sled to this truck. Trailer yes and possibly a powerstroke or two haha. Trans will be a fuller fso8406a.

Alright here are the turbos I plan to use. The small one is a gt4508v off of a c12 cat. Its measurements are 67/75/1.15. The other is a s410g off of a c15 cat. Its measurements are 75/84/1.42. Opinions?

What c12 is that from? Off Highway?
And yeah, the 410g has a roughly 5/8 inch wide casting flange around the diameter on the cover

Monkey Fist Rage

Last edited:
Not sure exactly. I bought em from a small shop that went under. I was going off of part numbers to find the models. The small one is a gt42 and the other a gt47. Thanks smokem

Not sure exactly. I bought em from a small shop that went under. I was going off of part numbers to find the models. The small one is a gt42 and the other a gt47. Thanks smokem

Oh I thought you had said 4508 in another post.

Monkey Fist Rage

Yeah I was mistaken. The reman numbers I searched came up with those models at first. Then smokem pointed out things about them that werent correct for the models they were supposed to be. I had faith in Google lol.

I came across an 12v 8.3 swapped into a 95 dodge, the motor and trans came out of a pusher motor home the trans was an allison 300. He had to have the output reversed. The same guys the did the output swap did programmed the the allisons shift point to his liking while they were at it...u pop the hood on the truck and u would never know its an 8.3 unless u knew what to look for.

I would size the smaller turbo closer to th ehx40 size, and go big on the bigger turbo. I too am looking at a C or ISLin my project truck.. truck isa based on a '99 sd F550, looking at 1950 willys jeep pickup cab on it , rear is dana 135 and trans will be rt009513. I'd prefer a isl due to real engine brake. but the isl 370-400hp are harder to find around here.., lots of 8.3s. I drive a Ford 8000 dump tandem truck for a friend occasionally. It runs a 8.3 and 8ll, with 4.11 44k rears.. it pulls like a tank, top end and hills are limited, but it has pulled 20 tons in the box. it runs same loaded or empty. In a light truck with the right rears and trans you should be steady. The was a old conversion from about 10 -15 years ago in the TDR where the guy did a 8.3L in Superduty I believe it was a OBS. It ran good but he said it ate more fuel, and took longer to warm up and run clean in cold weather to to the light load on the engine. He had to cut fire wall and do body lift etc.
You may be able to do a search and dig up pictures etc. I had saved them to my computer but it had since crashed, losing the pictures etc.
Thanks,
Deo

I've done some thinking and I might just try the gt42 as is. I also have the parts to make it 70mm compressor. If I do twins I will look for a 80mm and go from there.

I'm new at compound math so I very well could be off, but i ran some quick numbers:

assuming 60psi, 500hp, 80% VE, & 3k rpms.

Secondary: 48 lb/min @ 2.3 PR
Primary: 102 lb/min @ 2.3 PR

that should put you in S363 or 366 range for compressor flow @ 2.3 PR for the Secondary & GT55 for the Primary.

Granted this is ideal in the highest efficiency islands, and doesnt account for the turbine side of things.

borgwarner-airwerks-series-s300sx3-turbo-pn-177280.jpg

GT5533R-769115-0006-compmap.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions?