81 Chevy Cummins swap 90% complete

Ok everyone. I fabbed up a new hot pipe using the origenal flanges and an exhaust "donut" to replace my original hot pipe. This new pipe is a shorter route and gives me more room for the heater box. Besides it looks more professional. Here are a few pics of it during the mock up. I'll post more pics of the finished pipe after it is wrapped and reinstalled.

The Donut
CIMG0031.jpg

All tacked together
2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

Welded but not painted or wrapped
3-1.jpg

I am just across the river from you in North Sac and definitely looking forward to seeing this thing in person.

There is an 85 Chev CC up in Redding with a 12Valve in it, get ahold of Joel up at J&H, they should be able to put you in touch with the owner.

I love the 12 valve conversions, my truck is a 97 F250 SC 4X4 shortbox 96 12Valve 215 pump, 3K GSK,NV5600 3.55s and all around sweet daily driver.

Last edited:
Any chance we can get some pics of the build up? Dropping the motor in and stuff. Looks great.

Yeah would really appreciate some motor mount pics also, thanks sweet build!

Ok, sorry about the long delay. My fiancé had our baby:rockwoot:. 7lb 7oz. So I have been VERY busy (This is our first child). Sorry I don't have any pics of the engine install. I didn't think to take any. I have attached a few pics of the engine before it was in the truck and a few of it sitting in there before the mounts were made. I don't have any pics of my making the mounts, but I took a couple of the drivers side mount as best as I could get to it. Keep in mind that the spacer is not in the mount just yet, so the bolt is not tight and I need to climb under the truck and put the last 2 bolts in the moter mount plates to hold them down to the cross member. Enjoy the pics, I hope they can help to answer any questions fellow swappers may have. If there are any other specifics I can answer or take pics of feel free to ask.

3.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00002-1.jpg

DSC00006-1.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004-1.jpg

DSC00006-2.jpg

CIMG0049.jpg

CIMG0050.jpg

CIMG0063.jpg

CIMG0062.jpg

CIMG0058.jpg

CIMG0060.jpg

CIMG0061.jpg

yep those explain alot! One more question I probably missed, did u go with electric or manual fan? And was there clearance for the manual fan with the motor sitting were it is? Clean swap man, looking good!

I went with 2 electric fans (See the 5th pic from the bottom) The mechanical fan would not fit. I could have used the mechanical fan if I placed the engine back further, but then I would have had to modify the firewall. The position the engine currently sits in allows me to JUST BARELY get the bellhousing bolts out without having to pull the engine. So when it comes time for a clutch I won't have to pull the engine out to get to it. I didn't want to modify the truck in any way I didn't need to. I'm glad the pics helped. If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to drop me a line.

is that the radiator on the outside of the elec. fans? Tiny whatever it is.

Did you have to cut the front cross member?
No I did not have to cut or modify the crossmember at all. In fact, the only modifications I had to do to the truck was to switch the transmission tunnel over to a stickshift/4x4 hump, because the stickshift hump is higher, allowing the NV4500 to fit under it. The stock automatic hump was too low. Otherwise no cutting needed at all.

is that the radiator on the outside of the elec. fans? Tiny whatever it is.
That is the heat exchanger for the air/liquid intercooler. I have not updated this post in quite some time, but I also built a 2 gallon aluminum coolant reserviour for the intercooler. I could have run a traditional air/air intercooler, but I would have had to cut the radiator support to connect the piping. with the air/liquid cooler I only had to run 2 small water lines and I ended up using existing holes for that.