89 blazer ppumped 4bt prodject starts now... ill update as i go. heres the first pic.

Yeah but that carport aint that bad.... You get your stuff running yet? check out that water setup i got on there for running the engine on the stand,,,, its all ready to go even have the block heater plugged in for the first start..... just waint on my flywheel to get here. I ended up just ordering a whole 13" clutch kit with flywheel so soon as that gets here ill run it on the stand for a while till im either comfortable with the way it runs or i realize it needs to be toren down and rebuilt.. Im gonna get it up to operating temp to check the blowby as well.

Well got her going today.... runs great, no noises, no smoke, it doesnt vibrate to much.... smooth running engine. I ran it for about 15 minutes so i could check the blowby when it was warm. Thats what has me confused. at idle its got quite a bit of blowby pressure. it was a little more when it was cold but even at 180 degress the pressure coming out of the oil fill cap on the front cover is deffinatly a lot more than my 12v dodge trucks ive had? its nothing visible coming out but it is enough pressure to make the oil fill cap dance around when you set it on top while running. soon as you give it a little throttle the blowby mostly goes away but im a little worried.... anyone know what normal blowby is concidered on these little motors? thanks and heres a video of it running....

[ame="http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/ww251/jaybuller/?action=view&current=100_4774.mp4"]100_4774.mp4 video by jaybuller - Photobucket[/ame]

well made some more progress. got the 355 out and test fit the 4bt. ran itto some problems as to be expected.... the afc on the pump hits the brake booster... any suggestions? mabey a smaller booster? also see where i have it sitting in the pictures? is that about as far back as you folks been puttin it or you been puttin it farther back in the bay? where its sittin rih there the turbo has good room to run the exaust and plenty of room up front for the radiator and intercooler but i was just wandering as far as overall vehical balance with the motor that far forward like that?

100_4796.jpg

100_4798.jpg

this is as far back as it goes without the afc hitting the booster
100_4802.jpg

same position
100_4801.jpg

and this is the afc position when all the was back
100_4800.jpg

Loose the vacuum booster & swap to a hydroboost unit. Is the blowby causing constant pressure? What you describe sounds fairly normal.

I got the radiator support cut and welded up to fit the stock 2nd gen intercooler infront of the radiator... also here are the mounts i fabbed up this evening... im using first gen dodge cummins rubber mounts and then used 1/4" plate for the mounts. you cant see very well from the pics but i incorperated one of the rear mid mount bolts and all three front mount bolts. motor sets in there nice just enough clearence in all the areas i needed.

100_4807.jpg

100_4808.jpg

you can see how close the afc is from the booster. its about 3/4 of an inch from it.
100_4809.jpg

and this shot shows how it sets in there on the mounts. the intake horn would be a problem if i didnt hae a cowl induction hood on this thing. I could have set it in there about an 1 1/2" lower but i still think it would have hit the stock hood.
100_4810.jpg

Blowby could lessen after running it more .A good source for Hydro boosts is Astro vans A lot of them have it. Really cool project. Rich

yeah im sure the rings are just kinda stuck in that shape from sitting for over a year.... ill put some miles on it and see how she is then. Im gonna go with the stock booster first if i dont like the electric vaccum pump then ill convert over. I have just about got this thing licked.... the only thing i lack is the tranny bolted up!!! just waitin on that to come in. Ive got every other piece of the puzzel taken care of!!! I modded the stock sending unit and cleaned out the gas tank as well as used a hole saw to cut the fuel opening bigger for the bigger diesel nozzel. got the radiator,intercooler and all that mounted as well. Just a waiting game now for that dang tranny!

Well got some more small stuff knocked out. most of the wiring is ran(at least hooked up) not realy tucked and tied off and routed how i want yet but its all there and working how it should. just thought i would update with some pics... you can see how the stock chevy radiator mounts in the same stock location even with the 97 ram intercooler behind it. (mounted using the stock ram mounts to secure it to the rad. support. and rubber isolators on the bottom.) if i wanted to run the stock chevy a/c condencer it would fit in front of the intercooler but i would have to custom bend the stock lines out toward the pass side and hook up that way. it would fit and i test mounted for future... right now since i live in northern michigan i am not going to hook up the a/c. just going to save all the parts i need to do it for when i move down south, if i ever do..... enjoy..

100_4849.jpg

100_4847.jpg

100_4848.jpg

100_4846.jpg

100_4845.jpg

100_4844.jpg

I would love to find a clean 80s Chev 1/2 ton 4x4 to do this to. I love these old trucks, but the fuel mileage sucks.

yes the mpg sucks with the 350 thats for sure.... bout 12 mpg if i took it easy... im thinking i will probably be around 20 to 25 with this setup.... mabey a tad more if i baby it on a flat hwy......for those that havent seen a whole picture of the blazer here it is....

100_4494.jpg

Last edited:
The truck looks awesome, but............what happened to the big HP 12v plan ? Dont get me wrong, I dig the 4Bt , the last I remember you were going to do a 12v swap.

Keep up the great work, one of these days I'll find time to continue progress on my Cummins K5 .

Well Josh, my wife has a 2005 dodge 1500 2wd 4door and she wants a 12v in that so i figured that will be the high hp 12v prodgect and this blazer can let me play around with the 4cly, just realy somthin a little different to play with(although its identical to my ole 12vs its still a little differnt) The thing sounds amazing in the blazer the turbo screams and pulls hard, i cant wait to get this pump benched and some bigger sticks in it as well as the hx35 or he341 if i can get a good deal on one...

here is some updated pictures, still in the proccess of cleaning everything up and orginizeing wires, hoses and whatnot.... bout the only thing left to do is make an exaust system for it and put the sound matting and carpet in it!!! ive been driving it around a lot the past 2 days and the thing is sweet. Ive already started turnin it up... i put a boost elbo in, tuned the starwheel on the afc looser but thats it... Its got a little pep now to it! deffinatley does good on the mPG!!!! ive put about 200 miles on it the last 2 days and its barly even moved the fuel guage! from what it used to do with the 350 id be down to a half a tank or less now, im still way over half. im gonn fill it back up to the brim when i get 300 miles on her to see what it is but im gonna guess anywhere from 22 to 28....enjoy but remember this isnt done this is just the latest it will look better when all is said and done im going to powder coat the intercooler piping(as well as 3" pipeing on the driver side and a custon intake horn that is 3" as well like the 6bts have. also going to get my 6bt manifold cut and welded and mount the hx35 turbo midmount and indext down with the compressor elbow turned to point at the intercooler piping. The stock dodge cooler piping on the pass side will work perfect with the midmount manifold and an hx35 clocked right. Im also going to go ahead and pull the plate in the pump and tune it with the afc spring, my clutch will hold all the power this little bugger could put out so im gonna go for it.

100_4875.jpg

100_4876.jpg

100_4882.jpg

just a little update on the blazer... got the entire interior(floor, firewall behind corner panels and under door panels.) also did a sheet on the engine side of firewall all lined with fat mat. just like dyna mat just cheaper. i used 100 sq feet of the stuff. also laid in new black carpet that was backed with the thick noise reducer stuff. the thing is quiet now... cant even hardly here the ole 4bt. i also swapped in some new 3/4 ton rear ends with 3.73 gears. i got a semi float 9.5" ring gear 14 bolt for the rear and the front is just a dana 44 with a posi up front and im goig to through a true track or somthing like that in the rear. it was a big step up from my old 3.08 gear 10 bolts... i can actually use 5th gear now when im at 65 instead of having to do 80 to be comfortable rpm in 5th. i got some new 8 lug weld wheels too with 305/70/16 all tterrains as well. the whole thing is coming together nice and i love the thing. i have put over 1000 miles on it now and have averaged 25mpg. my first tank was only 22 but this last fill up it was 28( i was just normal driving it back and forth to work....) i think it might get a tad better with the new 3.73 gears because i deffinatly dont have to give it as much fuel to get going now and in 5th gear at 55 im right at 1500 rpm so i think it is better but well just have to see after a few hundred miles.

nice project! I would love to swap one of these motors into a s-10 pickup and push it to 400hp it would be a bad ass little truck. let me know if you come across another motor like that one.

Thanks, yeah these little guys are hard to come by with the p7100 pump but there out there. everyone that has one usally wants 5000 for a high mileage motor. i picked this one up for 3000 but that was just a good deal. usally a good runnin ve pump 4bt sells for 2500 to 3000.

Im gonna see if i can get glen over at e.d. hook me up with a small turbo that will support 300hp but spool like this little hx30... heck hes only right down the road ill just have to see if he can do somthing....this is not going to be a hotrod ive decided just a good strong offroad toy and daily driver... i think im going to build a 12v for my wifes 3rd gen gasser dodge for hotrodding.... im thinking 66mm turbo, 5x14 injectors and lots of pump work.... i think ill try my hand at drag racing with it mabey some sticky tires in the back since its just a two wheel drive....

My blazer is not the best platform for mpg but i think the reason im gettin so good is because i drive 50 miles round trip to work 5 days a week and 40 of those miles is on a road with no stops and a 55 mph speed limit. Soon as i get a chance to take it on a road trip i will see what it can do going 65. but i think just because of areodynamics of my blazer. it does have a pretty big sale area!

Last edited: