91.5 how do i get the reverse band strut out

tatkins85

I have the pan off and am trying to get the servo apart/off, so I know I need to get the reverse strut off so the adjustment lever can be moved out of the way to access the servo. But I can't get the strut out. Do I have to remove the valve body? If so is there anything I need to lookout for while removing it? It looks confusing with all the linkage and wires going to it, unless it all just comes off in one piece. Thanks for the help.

Are you talking the low reverse band(rear band) There isn't a strut that I recall on it. Is it an overdrive trans?

ok i got the bolts holding the valve body on and i think there is something else holding up. it looks like the shifting linkage, im trying to pull out any bolts holding them on but having troubles. what else hols the vb in other then the main bolts on the vb?

The park shaft holds it in. Rotate the output shaft back and forth as your sliding the VB forward.

lol how do i do that?

Did you remove the PRND21 linkage from the side of the transmission?

And as stated the park shaft is locked in, you can either remove the E clip which holds it to the valve body, or you must jack up the rear of the truck and have somebody rotate the tires back and forth as you pull out on the VB

sweet, thanks for the info. i was stuck on that stupid park shaft and then read the thread. i got it taken apart and got the servo out.
IMG_0170.jpg

well i got it back together with a new servo and the good news is my reverse now works but when it shifts into drive 2 or 1 and give it gas it dosnt move. i can feel it shift into drive but when i give it gas it just revs up?

Ok fixed it. Converter was dry, let it sit in N and it sucked down 10 quarts of fluid. Now that I have you attention again lol is there I way I can fix the shifting lever in the cab. Nothing lines up correctly, the guy sold it so me like that and is still like that. I think when I’m in park it says N and everything is shifted over about 1 1/2 gears to the right of what it should be in. can I adjust that somewhere?