915rwhp @ 3800

Did you have to forgo a diesel truck rear axle because no one would make you the gears you needed?

Go like hell!

Correct. The Ford 9 inch under the truck is 2.50 gear. If we went for the 47RE, we could have all three brands represented!

We aren't sure the 9 inch will hold, so it's a gamble. If we could have had somebody make us AAM 1150 gears we would have. Several shops said they could, but in the end they couldn't.

We changed engine, trans, rear, and computers in the last two months, so we will be very lucky if everything works right.

The 9" Ford rear end and gear set has been hold lots of power for many years. It's one of the most popular rear ends used in drag racing, LSR, auto cross, endurance racing and many others. If it's put together right it will take all you have to toss at it and do it with a smile on it's face all the time. If you think it's a gamble, it's like playing poker with 3 aces in your hand to start with!

So not meaning to derail here, but is everyone in agreement that a 9" Ford rear end can take more zoot than our 11.5"? Sounds like crazy talk but I have seen some wicked powered vehicles of all sorts with that 9" rear. Dragster stuff too.

Did the Ford 9" come in pickups? That would make them legal for sledpulling.

If so, do the stock cases hold up or is it a total requirement to have the fabbed case? If so then no sledpulling.

2.5 gear! Yowza!

On edit....brain fart....I'd need a steerable 9" for the front...because...I'm in 4WD...durrr.....:doh:...don't mind me...

So not meaning to derail here, but is everyone in agreement that a 9" Ford rear end can take more zoot than our 11.5"? Sounds like crazy talk but I have seen some wicked powered vehicles of all sorts with that 9" rear. Dragster stuff too.

If so, do the stock cases hold up or is it a total requirement to have the fabbed case? If so then no sledpulling.

2.5 gear! Yowza!

I wouldn't be too keen on swapping from the 11.5 to the 9" for any reason other than gear selection like they've done with Casper. You would be into it a pretty good dollar amount to get it to stand up to the low RPM torque. I've seen my fair share of stock 9" rears go down behind healthy big blocks. Fabbed housing, spools, and axles help solve that but also drive up the price. Just my $.02

2.5 gear! Yowza!

On edit....brain fart....I'd need a steerable 9" for the front...because...I'm in 4WD...durrr.....:doh:...don't mind me...

I don't think they can take more "zoot" but they are stout as hell for a 1/2 ton rear...plus they have gearing options that are unavailable for an 11.5

When Pat and Johnny were dynoing the truck, the pinion temp on the 9" climbed pretty fast.

So Pat has now hooked up an Isspro ESP datalogger to keep track of the temperatures. Michael at Isspro has been very helpful.

If the temps climb too high, we will have to figure out a fix at Bonneville. We ran out of time to put a cooler on it.

Pat was told the Banks Sidewinder ended up having to cut their effort short due to a rear gear failure, and other LSR racers have had problems too.

When Pat and Johnny were dynoing the truck, the pinion temp on the 9" climbed pretty fast.

So Pat has now hooked up an Isspro ESP datalogger to keep track of the temperatures. Michael at Isspro has been very helpful.

If the temps climb too high, we will have to figure out a fix at Bonneville. We ran out of time to put a cooler on it.

Pat was told the Banks Sidewinder ended up having to cut their effort short due to a rear gear failure, and other LSR racers have had problems too.

Might give this a try (or simular high pressure additive) We use in in some of our high power final drives, and they run way cooler, like blistering hot, to holding your hand on it.....it works. Free's up a little hp as well.

Powerupusa.net - Power Up NNL-690G Product Information

I chose to use a Dana 70/80 hybrid in my 1/2 ton simply because I knew with a few parts it would hold up to almost anything I could throw at it, for about 1/3 the cost of a 9" that may or may not hold up.

But I'm not looking for a 2.50 gear or anything like that:D
Chris

Good luck, Kat & Pat! It's been fun hearing about this project, can't wait to hear how it does!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

If you weld a couple of braces on a stock 9" axle tubes and use the nodular case unit they take plenty of power for a long time. We've run them behind blown big blocks without issues and they come in 1 ton pickups and below from about 1965 and on. There are plenty of aftermarket setups to choose from but Mark Williams and many others have plenty of parts for them.

The heat issue comes from running tall gears and most people at Bonneville run coolers for the higher speeds. Banks was running a quick change rear end from what I read back then in the Bonneville truck.

Casper went 197.x in the 2 1/4 and averaged 193.x at the 3 mile mark yesterday with Pat pulling the chute at the 2 3/4 when the boot exploded. But, he didn't know that was what it was at the time.

Are you guys thinking of running a pump on the pinion and cycle through a cooler? I haven't run mine yet but I have more work to do on the car to see where temps will sit.

No, no cooler yet. Pat looked at the temps at Bonneville and they were reasonable. No higher than the dyno pulls were, so we aren't going to use a cooler yet.

No, no cooler yet. Pat looked at the temps at Bonneville and they were reasonable. No higher than the dyno pulls were, so we aren't going to use a cooler yet.

so did the motor grenade?

Don't the 9" rears in nascar run a pump and a cooler on their pinions? That may be something to look into.

so did the motor grenade?

Nope, it still runs. Pat drove Casper into the trailer. Don't know exactly what is wrong yet. Hoping to be out at El Mirage in September.