92 W150 12v Swap

2001ctd2500

I started this swap a few months ago. The truck is a 92 W150 Regular Cab Short Bed that my dad bought new. I bought it from him 6 years ago for $100 and drove it up until the day I tore it apart. The donor truck is a 93 W250 Club Cab Long Bed auto that I bought last summer for $2000 with 328k on it. Hope you all like it.

I forgot to take pictures of the 92 before I stripped it so here is the donor.
DSC00395.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

Here is the old 318/A518/NP241 I pulled out of the 92
DSC00394.jpg

As you can see the cab has seen better days but that's what happens to a plow truck in northern WI after 19 years
DSC00393.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

After I pulled the gas tank I found the frame was rotten underneath the plastic that was meant to protect the gas tank.
Here is the piece I cut out.
DSC00388.jpg

This is where it came from
DSC00389.jpg

I don't have any pics of the new piece welded in yet. I'll try and remember to take some.

Good job on your project, have you considered driving and fixing up the 93, it appears to be a good substantial rig from the picture. I understand about fixing up your dad's truck, perhaps put it on the back burner, and search out a cab and frame from the non rust belt and add the better part's from the 92 to it, then paint original color, more 12 valves will always come along to put in it. :welcome:

Good job on your project, have you considered driving and fixing up the 93, it appears to be a good substantial rig from the picture. I understand about fixing up your dad's truck, perhaps put it on the back burner, and search out a cab and frame from the non rust belt and add the better part's from the 92 to it, then paint original color, more 12 valves will always come along to put in it. :welcome:

I do drive the 93 a few times a week and I am tring to find another 12 valve donor, mostly because mine is auto and I want a 5 speed. The 93 looks good outside but underneath it isn't that great. I already found a rust free cab a couple miles from my house and I already have the frame fixed but it needs to be blasted and painted.

Haven't been working on this much lately. Still cleaning up the frame and crossmembers. The rear axle in the 93 has a lot of slop in it so I picked up a Dana 70 out of a 99 today. Really was looking for an 80 but couln't find one close to home.

I've almost got my D150 on the road. Mine is light and even with a stock engine is really peppy. Are you putting the 3/4 ton axles under it?

Yeah, I'm swapping the whole drivetrain over. Possibly swapping in a manual if I can find one. What color is that on your D150 in your avatar? If I change my mind about the color I was thinking of going with Rugged Brown.