94 Suburban 2wd 12valve 2 of 2 or is it 3

The above pic is basically how they arrived to me I tied a string around the throttle and used a hotwire to start it to drive it across the yard LOL This is the adaptor for the coolant tank to return the one was put together with junk to test it the other is the custom made replacement.
1105091304.jpg

Now the fun part Spaghetti anyone?
0815091210.jpg

The wiring wasn't too bad I cut the ends off of all of the engine plugs , retaining the plugs for the sending units.
1215091008.jpg

All of the remaining wires were clipped where they entered the firewall. Rich

The gauges were pretty straight forward just used gm sending units in the Cummins. The tach was made functional by retaining the GM alternator with a Cummins 8 groove pulley . I now know that I could have had the dodge alt fitted with a 1 wire conversion and a tach lead. The speedo was a challenge but was done using a signal adaptor made by Dakota digital pn SGI5 .
mms95picture3.jpg

looks like its coming along pretty good rich wish i could get mine to look as good lol.

I chose the 94 for the dash in case I could not make the speedo work we could order the dakota digital to use a different sender . We used a 47rh not a GM trans , The dodge sending unit uses a different type of signal and after calling a few shops that did this swap I was told no one that used the mopar trans had been able to make the speedo work. I have all of the factory gauges working . This would also make any P pump engine legal if things were to go back to inspections. Rich

i have an RH also but mine is 4x4 and speedo sensor is in the t-case snout. my speedo didnt work for 1 year till i decided to unplug the computer just to see what would happen and before my eyes the speedo started working. and its dead nuts too. i had the DRAK module burned for 315's and i checked it with GPS and its dead on at any speed.

Joe

looks like its coming along pretty good rich wish i could get mine to look as good lol.

Thanks, you just need some down time its a lot harder when you have to drive it everyday .
I had to drive it for about 2 weeks straight because my trucks torque converter went bad. Not much got done during that time. I was afraid to tackle anything too big . My biggest problem is finding the extra cash to keep it moving forward. :doh:

i have an RH also but mine is 4x4 and speedo sensor is in the t-case snout. my speedo didnt work for 1 year till i decided to unplug the computer just to see what would happen and before my eyes the speedo started working. and its dead nuts too. i had the DRAK module burned for 315's and i checked it with GPS and its dead on at any speed.

Joe

I bypassed the drac module and the speedo is a little glitchy around 45 there is a sudden 5mph jump . its about 2mph off. I am happy with it for now until I get the 321 gears installed.
You could probably bypass the computer and send the signal straight to the drac module. I have to leave mine in until I remove the cluster and run a new ground for the fuel gauge . If I unplug the last plug it goes past full and stays there.:hehe:

Thanks, you just need some down time its a lot harder when you have to drive it everyday .
I had to drive it for about 2 weeks straight because my trucks torque converter went bad. Not much got done during that time. I was afraid to tackle anything too big . My biggest problem is finding the extra cash to keep it moving forward. :doh:

same here its hard to find the time working 6 12-15hr days and working in a shop with limited space that someone runs their business out of it which i am grateful that i am able to work on it there and store it there but just the short time frame i have to work on it i cant dig into the big stuff. might have to have jeremy just do the work for me to give him something to do in his off time lol

hey im liking the swap looks very clean. i am just wondering about that fl70 bracket, as far as what compressor you ran and also what else was involved in the installation of it. was the neck on the thermostat housing changed ect.
Thanks alot man very inspiring.

hey im liking the swap looks very clean. i am just wondering about that fl70 bracket, as far as what compressor you ran and also what else was involved in the installation of it. was the neck on the thermostat housing changed ect.
Thanks alot man very inspiring.

Thanks The belt tensioner and tensioner bracket must also come from the FL70. The FL70 bracket will work with the Dodge compressor but the pop off
valve hits the oil filter. I picked up a different compressor back housing for around 20.00 dollars. The thermostat housing is the Dodge one. Rich

I converted over to the sealed beam front end.
0817091946.jpg

Then did a GMC makeover:hehe: The tag was removed, the center caps were changed to GMC and the horn button.
0107001607.jpg

The sealed beam headlight fits without hacking or cutting. I kept the composite front end but this one is really starting to grow on me. Rich

I havent added to this in a while but progress is still being made .
I finally made more progress and got the wiring all taped up and ready for the loom and my extra acc. power supply wire quit working.:nail: Now I have to redo it again:doh: I also got it off to the paint shop finally.:rockwoot::rockwoot: I should have it back this weekend. Rich

Now that is a clean and cool setup you have there. Looks like you worked your butt off but well worth it. How does it drive with that extra weight up front now and how is the noise level inside. I wish I had seen this before I did mine it would have been easier. Anyway congradulation on a hell of a good conversion.
Eddie

Thanks Blue it drives just like it did from GM only more power. The weight is not as much as people think . It is hooked to the restrictive GM exhaust so its quiet . The 410 gears bring the noise level up at highway speeds but a set of 321s should fix that . I do have to say I am shocked at how well the 94 Suburban eliminates outside noises . Rich

the diesel suburban/pick-ups have insulation on the firewall. and the gassers don't. i did a swap in my buddy burb that was a 454 (no isulation) and that thing is terribly loud inside, almost like the air filter is mounted under the dash. while on the other hand my truck (6.5l), the thing is waaay quiter inside than his. Good looking install btw, and it is going to be white again?

Joe

Yes white is a very good color for Florida. LOL Although the first Suburban was black and still a lot cooler than my White Dodge. Must have something to do with that Cab forward design Dodge has. Rich

This is killing me, my wifes 96 suburban just dumped the trans and with 300k miles I don't want to fix it but after seeing this awsome conversion I want to do mine and the best part is I have damn near all the parts to do it. Keep up the awsome work. I am going to save this thread because it is cool.
Eddie