95 DT466 build suggestions.

AG-SCI

Alright, new to forums and hope this place is active still and hope I put this in the right spot, I would consider it an IHC engine still.

Previous info:

I brought home what I believe is a 95 (gots to remember to go take a picture of SN) DT466, block, crank, cam, pan, rods and pistons. (NO cylinder head included, NO front cover included) Was told it was draining coolant into the pan and it was operated like that for 2 years with frequent oil changes and one day it just locked up, I saw #6 ate a little something, not as bad as my 414 in my 1066 that ate #5 exhaust valve at WOT and still drove it a couple miles for cell service but anyhow...

Build suggestions & goal:

I would like to have some suggestions for building a very powerful engine out of this for use in a 2017+ F550 203" wheelbase truck. I have been reading I can mate a RTO6613 or 10 to it. Will go that route probably. Need to have something that I can run strong and be drivable with a lot of weight behind it, not trying to just drag race the truck, would prefer to not have to exceed 3500 RPM, would love to have as much torque as low rpm as possible, but definitely want to out-power anything else that was offered in a pickup truck, such as built 6.4s, built/tuned 6.7s etc.

So,
Anybody got part # and ideas for turbos, pumps, injectors, cams, cylinder head, manifolds, pistons, rods, maybe a crank as I don't know condition of mine yet, flywheel/clutch assembly, water pump, cooling support etc?
I need to find out what cylinder head is best, I have seen on youtube for DT466 swap in a ford pickup guy used the e model head with the intake ports running down instead of on the side like traditional engine. I was told thats better than the high flow "+" head we would put on our tractors.

EDIT: Now am wondering, if that HEUI head was used.. how to machine out for the traditional injectors along with lines from an inline pump like p7100? Unless that cylinder head was used on p-pumped engines and I don't know that yet? 🤔

Any help ideas and suggestion is very welcome and I will try to also post other things I learn and achieve here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Save yourself a lot of headaches, and find a good complete DT466 that is already mechanical and rebuild it, if that's what you want. Personally, I would look for a Series 40 Detroit/Penske. The good DT466 bottom end with the roller camshaft and some of the top end updates the later one's got. Absolutely wonderful engines we used in tractors.

As far as High HP, I would set it around 300hp and if you really want to drag a lot of weight, gear it so you are 2000-2200RPM at 70mph and call it good.

I used to drag around 40K gross weight with a 95 Dodge with a 398hp/998tq setup on it, and had way more go than I did whoa...now we'll get up around 50K with my 40' trailer and Duramax that is a stock L5P, and they never lack for power, just won't pick a gear and pull. With a 10 speed Eaton, depending on OD or direct gearing, you should have a gear for anything.

I would also suggest a Super 10 transmission, you only move the stick 5 times, instead of going up through, splitting, then coming back through all 5 again.

Chris

complete DT466 that is already mechanical

Yes, this is a plan but I need a lot of e model parts such as that updated cylinder head though? I have a block and crank from a 95 that I plan to get a p pump. I am in no rush for the project as I don't even have the truck yet. I have an e model 466 for sale near me that IS complete so I would then have what I believe is the correct cylinder head other than figuring out the mechanical injector end of things, and the correct front cover with the offset water pump etc. I have the front plate on the block I currently have with the studs for the injection pump.
I also have bellhousing on engine too.

I know I wont NEED more than 900lb of torque and ~300 hp, but I definitely want this build to be far more capable and might as well get the right updated style parts and a turbo setup to handle it, but to also maintain lower rpm torque, such as a 6.0 vgt turbo compounded with something else maybe, and could use a potentiometer to adjust the geometry and set it for what I plan on doing.

Would a super 10 just be a splitter like a split rear, high and low? I have been told the 13s are easy shifting, I drive 18 and 15 speed(deep reduction) in 379 and 378.

Why build a morphydite engine when you can get what you want already?

You know what happens when you try to be cheap? You spend way more in the long term to make it work instead of buying something that actually works.

Super 10 runs the range box by moving the stick through the center of the pattern...but it you drive an 18 in a real truck the 13 will drive exactly the same, minus the split in the bottom range.

Either build an E model, or get a real mechanical engine. A cross breed will be exactly what it sounds like...a cross breed.

Chris

or get a real mechanical engine

So I am just better off with the high flow "+" head.
I seem to figure the p7100 can be plenty of pump,
bottom end I have been told its good up to 800-1200 HP, what are your thoughts on that?
Any recommendations for aftermarket pistons or just use OEM aluminum...? I figure steel will tolerate egts better and tolerate more advanced timing like the 3406 had the recall for the steel pistons, they required a different connecting rod. Just cracked a piston in a 3406 thats runnin 750 hp this past winter.

In this video you see the cylinder head I am asking about, I had even asked in the comments to hope to get help. I can only find that 12v upper intake port style on the e models but that engine is all mechanical. I must be missing something?

Would like to hear everyones thoughts on that there turbo setup.

Thanks.

What do you want, to tow trailers with an F550 or another 379?

Chris
Yeah, F550, 4wd, have ALL my tools in it, possibly a crane, will be capable of giving up 4 foot of flatbed space and maintain 8 foot of flatbed space with a gooseneck trailer, do my normal smaller runs, and be very capable of bigger projects such as where a 379/8 wont go. Its the versatility I need from the crew cab 12' bed. I just find it to be the ideal truck setup for what my various applications will be.

Something that I can call mine, custom, unique, 100% usable and not JUST a toy. Just my preference, many others have a different view. idk

I've had a junki old 12v with compounds that felt like towing I could rip the guts out of the Trans or rear-end power wise if I wanted. Sounds like you trying to reinvent the wheel.

Yeah, F550, 4wd, have ALL my tools in it, possibly a crane, will be capable of giving up 4 foot of flatbed space and maintain 8 foot of flatbed space with a gooseneck trailer, do my normal smaller runs, and be very capable of bigger projects such as where a 379/8 wont go. Its the versatility I need from the crew cab 12' bed. I just find it to be the ideal truck setup for what my various applications will be.

Something that I can call mine, custom, unique, 100% usable and not JUST a toy. Just my preference, many others have a different view. idk

100% useable, and you're asking if the DT466 bottom end is good for 800-1200hp?

WTF man?

Build it to 300hp, gear it to run 70mph at 2000RPM, and call it a day.

Otherwise, you want a pipe dream.
Chris

I've had a junki old 12v with compounds that felt like towing I could rip the guts out of the Trans or rear-end power wise if I wanted. Sounds like you trying to reinvent the wheel.
This...you aren't going to set the world on fire with a 466, just your wallet. For the money you will spend trying to get a 466 to fit and work, you would be worlds ahead with a common rail 5.9/6.7 with a tune. Make more power, better drivability, quieter, lighter, etc.

This...you aren't going to set the world on fire with a 466, just your wallet. For the money you will spend trying to get a 466 to fit and work, you would be worlds ahead with a common rail 5.9/6.7 with a tune. Make more power, better drivability, quieter, lighter, etc.
I built a VP44 24v in an FL80 Freightliner with a set of Mach 4, 155hp injectors, and S360 turbo, and a Edge EZ that should have been right around 425hp based on what we've seen in pickups. Was setup with a 10 speed, and 22.5 rubber and ran 60mph at 2000RPM, and 70mph around 2400RPM.

I hauled 60K lbs with it and never had any issues getting hot, it would hold 70mph on cruise in Ohio, and ran great at 1200* EGT. A 5.9L punches way above it's weight class if it's setup right...a cobbled together parts engine DT466 just to be different is just that, cobbled up.

Chris

This is usually how this goes talking to people in the past about my previous pipe dreams that I have just ended up having to deal with my own ideas myself and make it happen without anyone else's input since nobody seems to support the idea much. Its worse yet when someone calls up for something custom, that also is a pipe dream and I gotta make THEIR idea come true, that is harder yet.

Maybe my question is what is best build for a superstock 466? Figure I am just better off asking that on the IH Forum. Got nobody local in person to talk to about it anyhow.

This is usually how this goes talking to people in the past about my previous pipe dreams that I have just ended up having to deal with my own ideas myself and make it happen without anyone else's input since nobody seems to support the idea much. Its worse yet when someone calls up for something custom, that also is a pipe dream and I gotta make THEIR idea come true, that is harder yet.

Maybe my question is what is best build for a superstock 466? Figure I am just better off asking that on the IH Forum. Got nobody local in person to talk to about it anyhow.
People on here have a LOT of experience. You aren't coming on here setting the world on fire, we are trying to help. In the end it is your money. A mechanical engine is 30+ year old technology. You said you want to "definitely want to out-power anything else that was offered in a pickup truck." Not going to be fun with a mechanical pump as a daily. Start towing with one and you will see. You will be money/time/horsepower/aggravation/drivability/reliability ahead with a common rail engine. A new HO 6.7L Powerstroke has 1200 ft*lbs and won't rattle your brains out like what you are wanting to build.

I feel like I come over too many issues with common rail engines such as 8.3 having issues when itll just cut power from some dumb accumulator with the pump, sensors going out on other engines, hpfp going out and not meeting rail pressure requirments etc. Yeah, I can hook the computer up to program them, but what is the point of all that crap anymore. I am trying to go away from the aggravation of 7.3s, 6.0s, 6.4s, 6.7s, anything common rail or HEUI. Its getting annoying. An all mechanical DT466 will give me no error codes, if its got compression still, pump is (ok-ish), injectors are (ok-ish), it will fire and get me home. Had a deere 466 in a loader with 9700 hours on it start loping at idle but still ran very strong, sent it to a pump shop, said it was their most worn out pump they ever seen, big shop in outskirts of Baltimore. Don't get me wrong here, a 7.3 is fantastic, a 6.4 is very capable, but when a damned sensor goes out and leaves me sitting I am getting closer and closer to loosing my shit on every object near me. I might as well go THROUGH a PLANNED headache of designing and building what I WANT and living through with that for a long time. There are still factory 1973 DT466s that have just had that rotary pump turned clean up, droop screw backed all the way off, possibly a different turbo (usually not though) and they continue to run WIDE OPEN THROTTLE for hours on end with 15k hours on the clock, pan not being pulled off, head not being pulled off. Basic upkeep. Seen 404 deere engines live like that, both NA and turbo.

I choose it due to its aftermarket availability, displacement, plenty of them made, simplicity and overall block and head structure. I don't see MANY 6.7 psd, OR cummins, 6.0s, 6.4s running in conditions that these 404 deeres run, 466s run, 5.9 cummins run etc. Yeah, there is plenty of Cummins support, and they are proven and cabaple, but I might as well take it and call it a "one-up ya bud" if you will.

You did mention a DTA360, great engine but just not as capable. When I say capable I mean longevity under such operating conditions. The bigger the engine, usually it will last longer with higher power outputs. Not saying I don't flat out abuse what I own....... ha.

Maybe just buy a freightliner FL60, or whatever medium duty truck came with dt466, and put a f550 body on it.
Sounds a whole lot easier.

Why on earth would you mention the deere 404 when talking and great engines?! Those are the most miserable starting piles of crap I've ever seen! Maybe if you're a southern boy that never sees temps below 60.

Forgive me for actually reading your thread, and finding this line in it...

"Need to have something that I can run strong and be drivable with a lot of weight behind it, not trying to just drag race the truck, would prefer to not have to exceed 3500 RPM, "

That line right there means nothing if that's not actually what you want...you can't have POWER to outpower everything on the road AND drivable with a lot of weight behind it with a pickup. If you want that, do like I said, get another 3406E. If you really want 800-1200hp with a fukked over, mechanical and electronic crossbreed DT466, then get your checkbook out and call Hypermax and they can make 1200hp in their sleep.

If you want to tow with 1200hp, then you're an idiot, period, and you should leave here and go to Cummins Forum where you belong, or get on Facebook. I have towed anything you can put behind a pickup with 389hp and 998ft lbs of torque in a 1995 Dodge 2wd 5 speed truck, and never had to take off the cruise. I'm talking well above 45k lbs gross, way over loaded. Did the same up around 60K lbs with the FL80 mentioned above....how much weight do you really want to drag around?

At least you realize you want a pipe dream...but if you have a big enough checkbook and the knowledge, then ANYTHING is possible with enough money, anything. However, since you're coming on Competition diesel and asking about how to build a DT466 you already have parts for, you must only have the checkbook, because you don't have enough knowledge to know what you are actually looking for.

You want to do something, then go do it...stop whining about how no one is supporting you. Stop whining that this place doesn't know custom, or what it's like to build something from scratch. You have 6 posts, you don't know a DAMN thing about what this place is now, or was in it's best days!!

Here's some links for you:
www.cumminsforum.com
www.facebook.com

and a very special one:

As I told someone else this week when my business system at work was giving us fits, I don't like being the asshole, but I know how to do it when I need to.
Chris

Maybe just buy a freightliner FL60, or whatever medium duty truck came with dt466, and put a f550 body on it.
Sounds a whole lot easier.
It has crossed my mind, I keep finding it to end up looking like a F650 with the body being "lifted" so high off the frame. Having put a 71 or 72 bronco cab on an OBS f150 frame in the past, just ended up very odd looking. Lessons to learn though. Wasn't my intentional project, got drafted into it.

Why on earth would you mention the deere 404 when talking and great engines?! Those are the most miserable starting piles of crap I've ever seen! Maybe if you're a southern boy that never sees temps below 60.

O my I get many people yell at me tell a 404 is better than 466 and vise versa, I personally always seen deere 466 start better than the 404, but have seen them all with 10k+ hours with basic upkeep.

because you don't have enough knowledge to know what you are actually looking for.
Its why I am here.

do it...stop whining about how no one is supporting you. Stop whining that this place doesn't know custom, or what it's like to build something from scratch. You have 6 posts, you don't know a DAMN thing about what this place is now, or was in it's best days!!

"myself and make it happen without anyone else's input since nobody seems to support the idea much"

Didn't mean to come off as whining, its usually how majority of my projects go, and for the few others that I am around and work with, they have the same issue and come to me for their projects, usually not as pipe-dreamy as mine though.

Didn't recall saying anything about how people on here don't know custom and so on, I came here for the people that will support custom, pipe-dreamy crap. Didn't say I know what this place is. I just figured I can post here to bring in some ideas and to discuss them, in which discussion changes my view on what the project should be as you earlier stated having such power, might just copy a 436/466 crank, rods and piston build from IH Forum. I don't have anything but a crank, block, and bell hosuing in hand. Just lots of availability of other parts local.

If you want to tow with 1200hp, then you're an idiot, period, and you should leave here and go to Cummins Forum where you bel
Run stock truck past scales if you are unable to keep speed, much higher probability DOT pulls you over to weigh you, but as I might have said before I'll probably keep K tags or FT tags on. 1200HP C15 with a 6nz topend makes 140k lb gross look like nothing, untill they look how cushioned the tires are ha! No, not going to Cummins, not them guys!

I hope I don't come off wrong to you personally or anybody else in any way shape or form. Discussion is discussion, at the shop what we say won't be allowed much of anywhere, and in the field it gets worse. Arguments and fights just end up usually getting nobody nowhere other than all of us going a different direction for the day, sometimes better sometimes worse.
I think by now it should be obvious that I am hard-headed by the way.

Depends on rotary or inline pump..........or maybe I'm a just southern boy compared to you😂

Back