96 12v?

DOUBLE NICKEL

Hi guys I am not new to diesels but am new to the 12v. Have been around several 12v but first time to own one. I have a 96 12v 2wd auto. Truck runs and shifts perfect. Has a built auto, intake, 4" exhaust, 4k gsk, laser cut dv's, 100 horse industrial injection injectors, and a upgraded 215 pump on it, and a stock turbo that has been fully polished inside and out. Haven't mashed down the throttle all the way yet but to me it doesent seem near as quick as it should be. Although I did beat a 08 dodge hemi to 60 by 2 car lengths yeterday. But that's not saying much. The truck smokes like a locamotive but just doesent seem that fast. Is there anything that could be holding it back?
Oh and the stock turbo hits 41 psi.

Thanks,
Ryan

Not saying its your fault because it wasnt your truck but what many people seem to be doing a lot lately is dumping fuel in(like your dvs and 100 hp injectors) and assume its going to be alright with just a boost elbow or plugging the wastegate for more boost to compensate. And then some of them (cause some 12vs run fine like this i dont know why) wonder why their egts are so high and the turbos laggy. The stock turbo just isnt up to the task. It can not flow enough air. The stock turbos basically out of its efficiency range @ 35 psi. After that its all hot air.
What you need to do is either back the fuel off to where you can actually use it (bc that extra fuel really isnt doing anything except creating smoke, heat, possibly lagg because the engine bogs due to too much fuel at the wrong time) or get a turbo or twins that will support that fuel.

Not saying its your fault because it wasnt your truck but what many people seem to be doing a lot lately is dumping fuel in(like your dvs and 100 hp injectors) and assume its going to be alright with just a boost elbow or plugging the wastegate for more boost to compensate. And then some of them (cause some 12vs run fine like this i dont know why) wonder why their egts are so high and the turbos laggy. The stock turbo just isnt up to the task. It can not flow enough air. The stock turbos basically out of its efficiency range @ 35 psi. After that its all hot air.
What you need to do is either back the fuel off to where you can actually use it (bc that extra fuel really isnt doing anything except creating smoke, heat, possibly lagg because the engine bogs due to too much fuel at the wrong time) or get a turbo or twins that will support that fuel.
Very well put, I'm sure that is the problem cause the guy said he had a phat shaft 64 on it a couple days and said it felt 2 times as fast as it does with the stock turbo.
Thanks!

I will go with "Less is More"! The smoke is cool for a while but backing off on the fuel a little should help! Also has your pump timing been adjusted at all?

I will go with "Less is More"! The smoke is cool for a while but backing off on the fuel a little should help! Also has your pump timing been adjusted at all?

Not real sure, the guy I bought it from bought it from the guy that did all the stuff to it 8 months ago. He just knew what is on it, but not any details.

I wouldnt exceed 35psi on the stock turbo, its all hot air after that.
Do you have gauges? gauges should be prerequisite to heavy fueling. Without those you risk melting a piston.
Im not sure how clean the II's run but the DDP's are well known for running pretty clean.
Youre very heavily fueled. a smaller 62 turbo would spool great and clear most of the smoke. You could probably spool a 64 fairly well at this point. at 41 psi the stock turbo is well out of its map. Thats asking for a meltdown =(
And that much fuel without the air needed will just get you sooty oil and a letter from the EPA ;p

I wouldnt exceed 35psi on the stock turbo, its all hot air after that.
Do you have gauges? gauges should be prerequisite to heavy fueling. Without those you risk melting a piston.
Im not sure how clean the II's run but the DDP's are well known for running pretty clean.
Youre very heavily fueled. a smaller 62 turbo would spool great and clear most of the smoke. You could probably spool a 64 fairly well at this point. at 41 psi the stock turbo is well out of its map. Thats asking for a meltdown =(
And that much fuel without the air needed will just get you sooty oil and a letter from the EPA ;p

Yes I do have gauges in the truck, that's why I haven't gotten in it all the way cause the truck will hit 1600 degrees very quickly...I'm either thinking about going with a phat shaft 64 or try detuning it to see if that helps. For some reason the truck will only hit 15 psi of boost. The guy said it hit 41 psi but I can't get it to hit more than 15. There's bound to be a leak somewhere cause I know its a lot more than that.

If your anything like me you won't be happy for long if you detune it. I would get a 64mm turbo if you plan on towing at all, but if its just for play I would throw a 66mm on it. Ether one you get make sure it has a 71mm or better exhaust wheel. My truck with 62mm compressor and a 65mm exhaust would still peg a 1600 degree gauge. But with a 66mm commpressor and 71 exhaust it lazily climbs to 1000 degrees and holds there all day. Just my two cents. :Cheer:

If your anything like me you won't be happy for long if you detune it. I would get a 64mm turbo if you plan on towing at all, but if its just for play I would throw a 66mm on it. Ether one you get make sure it has a 71mm or better exhaust wheel. My truck with 62mm compressor and a 65mm exhaust would still peg a 1600 degree gauge. But with a 66mm commpressor and 71 exhaust it lazily climbs to 1000 degrees and holds there all day. Just my two cents. :Cheer:

Probly won't tow much with this truck as I use my 95 dually for towing, the only towing this one will see is the bass boat acassionally. Will a 66mm be ok if that's all I am towing? I am definatly flooding the stock turbo as I can only hit 15psi. I need the truck to be streetable so would it be better to just go with a 64mm?

check the i think its called the governor lever in the afc if i goes underneath the plate it will be doggy to i fixed mine an about died at the diffrence it made

Hmmm...i'll have to check that out. Thanks! I really dont know what i am looking for though? What does it look like?

You would be alright pulling a smaller load. I pulled my flat bed trailer and big lifted mud truck after I put the auto in and it didn't work at all. I couldn't stay on top of the turbo unless I was just hauling but.

take the lazer cuts out, there best for a nitrious application and dont do much without it. some 191's would work better even with a 66. just my opinion