97 Twin Turbo 12valve Help

JSconi

Hello, I'm new to the forums and have looked around but can't really put my finger on the info I'm looking for.

I have a ’97 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 12valve and a nv4500 trans. I was just wondering if anyone has any input or advice for me. The truck is currently set up as follows:
• Compound turbos, sizes are 62/71/14 over a S475 turbo
• 3 piece ATS exhaust manifold
• 26* advanced timing
• .20 over marine gasket
• The head has 30 thousandths of a inch milled off
• 60 Lb. Valve Springs
• Titanium Keepers
• Titanium Retainers
• Billet Pushrods
• 12mm headstuds
• Fluiddampr Harmonic Balancer
• Southbend 3250 dual disk clutch
• 1.375” input shaft
• Uprgraded hydraulics in the trans
• Powertrax locker
• Injection pump is flowing 466cc’s
• DDP 140hp injectors
• Fuel pressure at 50psi at the pump
• Laser cut delivery valves
• 4000 rpm governor spring
• Hellmann alum. Fuel sump pump to 5/8” line to a raptor 150 pump to a aeromotive filter then 5/8” line to the injection pump

I might be forgetting a few things.

The truck is currently making 589RWHP and 1137RWTQ at 70psi of boost. I've heard that it should be more in the 650-700rwhp range. It also smokes like crazy and will black out a 4lane highway. I've contacted a few companies and led to possibly overfueling on low end and under fueling at WOT. I've heard stories that the laser cut delivery valves can lead to heavy smoke and "choke" the turbos. It was recommend that I do some AFC tuning and possibly swap out the delivery valves. What I am wondering is what exactly do I need to do with AFC tuning and what delivery valves should I run for my application. I've read the threads on here about AFC tuning and delivery valves but still seem to find my self confused.

I would start with swapping delivery valves, I would run 191's with your setup. Next, I would look into educating yourself on injectors and spray angles and how timing affects them, which when combined with full cut dv's will definitely cause your smoke issues. And as always, afc tuning is paramount with any setup to achieve maximum performance.

There has been volumes posted about AFC mods and tuning.

Search is your friend.

You could probably jump into the 600's with a delivery valve change and some tuning. Your within 11hp!

I would scale back to maybe some 191's. that seemed to help my buddies truck on the over fueling issue. Then if you want to go bigger you could drop to a .024 or SDX competition valves. The last valve i mentioned would be the heaviest fueling.

Did anyone else notice 26* timing and DDP140 inj.? An inj. change and dv change should put him where he wants to be. And then I'd still think he would be on the low side of fuel at the top end with 466cc.

Last edited:
Playing with the afc is free, but I'd recommend to swap the DV's out for some 191's or 024's before playing with the afc too much. As far as afc's go, I like to run them on the tight side by using a 180hp pump's gov. spring in place of the stock afc spring. I start out with the star wheel completely backed off and the pre-boost screw turned in to the point of it just making contact with the plunger.

Did anyone else notice 26* timing and DDP140 inj.?
Whats wrong with that? He also said 30 thousandths off the head with a .020" over gasket so the injector is sitting .010" closer to the bowl. I've daily driven as high as 30* with 0 issues.