98 24v

dieselpwr6l

Well I am looking into picking up a 98 24v. I did have a 03 stroker 6.0 but that had way to many issues. What are the main consurns on this new truck I will have to look out for? Any info would be great. Thanks.

INJECTION PUMP!!!
Less then stellar front end components.
53 block castings prone to cracking.

I'd look for a 12v, made until the middle of the 98 model year, or a Common Rail, 03+

If you want a stick shift and a 12v, 96-98 had the biggest injection pumps.

definitely not a vp truck 98.5-02, it won't give you as many problems as your 03 6.blow but it definitely is the most problematic cummins.

24v are not that bad if you have a fuel pressure gauge to monitor things. The increased comforts over a 12v makes the VP issue non-exsisant for some. ;)

So with the 53 block casting how prone is it to cracking? Is it from every day use or every day abuse.

Not all of them did or were treated the same that did it. If it hasnt done it by now it PROBABLY wont do it.

There is a 98 12 valve here in Loveland for sale.
White, QC, 4x4, 2500, auto. With only 50k miles. Beautiful truck. The sign in the window says it has a DTT trans and Banks stuff. It says $17500 OBO. I can get ya more info if you're interested. PM me.

If you like to be able to make power with the flip of a switch but then tone it down or quiet down the smoke show when a cop is following you, buy a 24 valve.

The VP44 injection pump and the stock lift pump are the two weakest links on a 98.5-02 truck. That said, the average life is somewhere around 100,000 miles for a VP44 $1,100 and the lift pumps vary from 5-100K miles $160. Most put a $120 Holley Blue lift pump or $550 dollar Fass, Raptor, Glacier system.

The VP44 trucks do limit around 600 HP #2 only but get great mileage, fight less egt issues, come with stronger valve springs, and are way easier to tune.

Stock 12 valves are the million mile motors but who keeps the same truck for that long?

The 03+ Common Rail Motors are the wave of the future but still $$ compared to the older models. If you get a newer truck, the 04.5+ can make alot more power with stock components due to: bigger turbo, bigger injectors, better flowing head, extra oil spray cooling jets to tolerate higher egt's. Watch out for 05's some of them came with plastic-end-capped intercoolers that blow at 40-50 psi.

The 03-04 trucks supposedly get better fuel mileage due to two injection events vs three injection events on the 04.5+.

98.5-02' trucks with fresh VP44 can deliver 20 mpg all day on the highway

Pre 98.5 12 valves can achieve 20+ mpg with proper timing advancement and properly firing injectors-balanced pump. These trucks are ideal for veggie oil conversions, and will run on almost anything if you put a little H2O injection system to help clean up the carbon buildup.

Thanks for the info. Still not to sure if I go with 12 or 24. But I still have some time to look.

I have a 24v and get 19.5 with city/highway/towing and 25mpg on the interstate, all hand checked. That is 2wd with a 6spd, can't beat that.